Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I wean to a sippy cup?

Default How do I wean to a sippy cup?

My 13 month old is allergic to dairy. Therefore, I've got to wean him to soy. I breastfed him exclusively during this 13 month period and he's never taken a bottle. He does take water from a sippy cup, but only small sips.

How do I wean him completely to a sippy cup if he's never taken a bottle?

Default Re: How do I wean to a sippy cup?

Let him play with the sippy cup. That's how I started my little guy....I would show him by lifting the cup to my mouth and then let him hold it and play with it.

That's how I did it with the water/ juice combo and he takes maybe 8-12oz from that each day. How do I get him to take the "required" 32 oz of sopy milk from the sippy? Will he eventually just take it and be hungry enough when the bm stops? When do I give it to him? When I would normally breastfeed him? It seems simple in theory, but I'm having a hard time doing it.

I'm curious where your getting info that baby needs 32 oz. of milk a day. My ped. and everything I've read said that 18-20 oz. of milk is plenty for a toddler, even one tottaly weaned from BM.
    My toddler has increased his intake of milk from the sippy as BF has reduced.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Quote Originally Posted by Lycie1 View Post
    Let him play with the sippy cup. That's how I started my little guy....I would show him by lifting the cup to my mouth and then let him hold it and play with it.
    That's a great idea i think i'm going to try that! Thanks

Why do you need to give him soy milk? I mean, if you think your LO should drink it for nutrients you think he's missing without the cow's milk, there are many other foods that you can feed him... Is he on solids yet?
    "If your baby is older than 9-10 months and still breastfeeds regularly (at least a few times a day), and is expanding his interest in solid foods, he does not require any additional milk (formula, cow's milk, soy milk, rice milk or the equivalent nutrients from other foods)." (quote from Kellymom).

As per the sippy cup, some babies (like mine) do much better with a straw cup (I started with one with the soft straw): since he's 9mo he drinks perfectly with it, so much that I used to hide the sippy cup in order not to have him drinking too much water (when his intake of solids was still low)...
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Thanks very much for the response. He's 13 months old and from what I understand from the KellyMom site, as long as I'm breastfeeding, he doesn't require any other milk. However, I'm trying to wean him completely, so that throws a wrench into things. We're still working on the sippy--he takes water just fine, but he's not loving the soy--regular, vanilla, chocolate (I love it!!). I'm sort of lost as what I should do next--I guess I'll keep trying. It seems not many people have had similar experiences, so I have nothing to compare it to. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Maybe try the Nuby straw cup? Right now, that is the one my DS prefers (he is 18 months). Also, soy milk is thicker than BM, so maybe try watering it down a little to get him used to drinking it, and then start going back up to full strength? Not sure that would work, but might be worth a shot.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Great suggestion--I'll try that.

my dd is 4 and she drinks very little cows milk and she is weaned..
    ITs realy not needed. He might be trying to tell you something, many kids that are bothered by cow milk also don't do well on soy.