Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: Are outside influences causing you to wean earlier than you liked?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 22.22%
  • No

49 77.78%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are outside influences encouraging you to wean?

Default Re: Are outside influences encouraging you to wean?

Quote Originally Posted by Caprine View Post
    I said yes. Apparently in the world of family courts, breastfeeding is just an excuse to keep a baby from its father.
    (((HUGS))) That's really a shame. Did you know that LLL has a legal department? Maybe they could help.

I say no. Even though my lo isn't even a year just yet, I've already been asked "so, how long until you stop bf?" about 100 times. Then I hear the usual comments implying it is weird or much too long, or if I don't stop now he'll be some weirdo who nurses at 18 years old. My MIL outright says mothers make it harder for kids to wean if they don't do it young, so she is basically saying I'm doing something wrong to not wean in a few weeks.

So yes I'm getting pressure from all ends (except dh which is good) but no it absolutely will not influence my decision to wean. If I'm getting harrassed in the future I'd be a closet toddler nurser, but I would feel upset with myself if I gave into the pressures.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

well, we have already weaned, but I voted no.
    I would get a lot of "when are you going to stop nursing" questions from my family, but I think that they were more curiosity driven and not veiled suggestions that I should be stopping. As it turns out, Hannah nursed for the last time on monday Im still a bit sad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hannahs.mum View Post
    well, we have already weaned, but I voted no.
    I would get a lot of "when are you going to stop nursing" questions from my family, but I think that they were more curiosity driven and not veiled suggestions that I should be stopping. As it turns out, Hannah nursed for the last time on monday Im still a bit sad about it.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on