Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: Are outside influences causing you to wean earlier than you liked?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 22.22%
  • No

49 77.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are outside influences encouraging you to wean?

Default Re: Are outside influences encouraging you to wean?

NO

My child.
    My body.
    My and DH decisions.

Nobody else gets a "vote".

DS is almost 22 mo. We haven't asked for anyone's opinions about DS continuing to breastfeed, and if anyone was foolish enough to offer their unsolicited "advice" I'd cheerfully ignore them.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I answered no because I am not being "encouraged to wean"/discouraged from breastfeeding by those influences; however there are outside influences trying to influence me to wean DD1. (Thankfully, at least there is nobody saying I should wean DD2 YET!)
    Although, at this point, those who would have encouraged me to wean have pretty much given up on me!
    I kind of expect more comments if she's still nursing at 3 in a few months. Also, people tend to think tandem nursing is weird too. I bet most people who don't know probably think that she is weaned.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I get comments but I happily ignore them and keep on going.

I really don't care what others think.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

No.
    At least not yet.
    My family doesn't say anything negative about nursing (they know better than to tick me off) and I don't have any friends to worry about.
    The only one wanting me to wean is my rheumatologist who still wants me on a medication that is incompatable with bfing.
    So far I've been able to stay healthy and off medication.
    Hopefully I can keep it this way until Z weans on his own.
    But if I get really sick again, I will have to make the choice between weaning and staying sick.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I voted no, because the decision really has been my DH and mine to make. Nobody has been pressuring us. Oh, the Dr. suggested it, but I would have told him to go jump in the lake if neccessary. The biggest reason I decided to wean was being PG. I just really have no desire to tandum given all the factors of the situation. If DS was younger, I would be more likely to consider it, but he has been fine with weaning to this point, and I just don't think it fits into our current situation. I definitely applaude any mom who does tandum, and would even encourage any mom who wants to.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

I would like to continue to nurse until dd decides not to anymore or she is two- thats my cutoff time. But DH isnt supporting it. He thinks that you should stop at 6 months if not sooner So we compromised and said one year after about 2 weeks of "discussing" the issur. The cost of formula finally won him over to one year. But I would like to try extend it a bit out longer than one year when we get there, but we shall see if he catches on to us or not when the time comes
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

I voted yes, not because I am experiencing pressure from family or friends, exactly. It's hard to put into words. I am not putting any pressure on the twins to wean. I am just gradually not offering at certain times. If they ask, they are welcome to nurse. I still offer three other times during the day. If they wake at night, they nurse then, too. However, I feel uncomfortable, and think about weaning more often, now that they are almost 18 months old. I am not uncomfortable with them nursing, or even with who knows it. I guess the outside influences come more from unseen pressure. We just moved to a new area, and I have seen no one who has chosen a similar parenting or even lifestyle that we have. Sorry, I don't have the right words to describe it. At any rate, we're not exactly weaning in the, "I'm trying to get the kids not to nurse anymore" so much as, "I am becoming aware that they do not need me in the same ways that they used to, and that means that some day, possibly in the nearer future than I would like, they will stop nursing."
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

I voted yes but not for the same reasons as the other girls. I am two and a half months pregnant and I am just so tired and starving to death all of the time. I am really regreting my decision to wean (it's only been three days), but the thought of BF three kids is just a little overwhelming to me. Also, I am going to be staying at home with the girls full time in three weeks, and I don't think I would be able to go through with the weaning processes if I was home alone with them all day.

I said yes. Apparently in the world of family courts, breastfeeding is just an excuse to keep a baby from its father.

I voted NO.

Nobody says anything to me anymore, because they know I don't care. I'll keep nursing my kids until they are ready to wean...which probably means that I'll be nursing 3 come September but so what? I'm doing what's best for my little ones.