Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lactose intolerance and more!

Default lactose intolerance and more!

I just went to my sons 2 month checkup on Friday he weighed 10.8 and has always had a lot of gas the doc suggested I try giving lactose free formula for 2 weeks to see if my son would put on weight and have less gas. He thinks he is lactose intolerant which I thought was weird b/c neither me or my husband are? I want to continue breastfeeding and fear if I stop for 2 weeks it will be hard to get my milk supply back. I didn't think 10.8 was under weight? My son also had green poop today and it is usually yellow so what does that mean??? Also my son seems to nurse every night from about 7-11 he latches on and then pulls of and grunts a lot but wants to continue to nurse I try burping him and sometimes he does but he continues to want to nurse. Do you think he is not getting enough milk or is this normal?

Default Re: lactose intolerance and more!

What was your little ones birth weight? How often does he poop? These should indicate if he is getting enough.

Unless he is not growing properly and needs supplementation for that reason, I would try tracking your diet and see what foods may be bothering him. He gets what you eat approx 5 hours after you eat it. It may just be something you are eating that is causing the gas. There are a lot of common allergies out there.

Lactose intolerance runs in my family, my son had a bout of 2-3hrs of screaming for a week that was very very unlike him. I did this and wound up removing milk from my diet and wha-la, no more colic.

Breastmilk naturally has lactose in it (a different form then cows milk I suppose). I read that if your baby does not get enough hind milk during feeding it could also bother his belly. Do you switch breasts when feeding? You could try feeding only on one to make sure he is emptying the breast and getting the hind milk. You may want to pump the other side.

Here's a link about the green poop I just looked up:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1141509AAQ3WjN

Good luck, feel free to ask for more help!

Hrmmm, true lactose intolerance is very rare. Some of the signs are FTT, loss of weight or extremely slow weight gain. Here is more information on it: http://llleus.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202

It can be totally normal to have color variation in poop: http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

Studies on Prolactin levels or responsiveness indicate that at around 8 pm most mothers have low levels of Prolactin, meaning an infant may need to nurse more frequently to fill up in the early evening. Your levels peak between 3-6 am, so they begin to rise after 8 pm and continue to do so all night. Sounds like your baby is just doing what is necessary. Have you tried any breast compressions while baby is feeding? Here is more on that: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    This helps push the available milk forwards.
    A side note to this I would like to reassure you that the breast never fully empties. There is around 25% remaining, and new milk is continually made.

I am also interested in birth weight, lowest weight, and weight now. This will help us do any trouble shooting that may need to be done.

You are correct that stopping bf for two weeks would cause difficulties for you. You would need to commit to removing milk at least 10 times a day in order to maintain what you have. Maybe a few less, maybe a few more- bm production is not rocket science- it's not exact...

Can you give us more detail about what you have been seeing in your baby that gives you alarm?

Quote Originally Posted by rstanton View Post

Breastmilk naturally has lactose in it (a different form then cows milk I suppose).
    Breast milk has the highest amount of lactose in it, even more than cows milk. Often with cow's milk the grass protein (which is small enough to pass into breast milk) will cause a reaction in infants. This reaction includes a contact allergy around the anus with a raised red welt- specific to where the poop touches, colic, hives, excema, wheezing, green poops... this can be other things though, in acute cases the allergy can cause the throat to close and impair the ability to breath...an api-pen is required in these cases.
    Other culprits for all these reactions include egg, nuts, and more. Here is a comprehensive allergy list with hidden dairy and other allergens in it should you want to try to remove all dairy: http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=12208

When he was born he was 7lbs 5 oz and at his 2 month checkup he was 10lbs 8 oz he is gaining weight but is only in the 25% which has gone up b/c at his 2 week checkup they said he was in the 20% he has always been extremely gassy but it doesn't seem to bother him at all he is very happy and rarely cries. The doctor said b/c he is small and is only in the 25% and is gassy that he might be lactose intolerant and I should try the formula for 2 weeks and then come back and see if he has gained weight faster and is not so gassy. When I breastfeed him he latches on great and I feed him until he comes off them burp and if he is still hungry try the other breast except at night when he constantly wants to feed then I was thinking he wasn't getting enough milk so I would let him feed on 1 for about 10-15 then switch but I'm afraid he is just getting too much or only front milk with the lactose which is causing the green poop and gas. How do you know if they are getting the back milk that has the most calories? I am wondering if I should just stop breastfeeding and give formula maybe I have an overflow of the front milk and he is filling up on that. I don't know what to do! I would like to continue to breastfeed him but I want to make sure he is getting what is best for him and that while he is feeding that his is getting both the front milk and the high calorie milk.

Lactose intolerance fact sheet

Kellymom info on lactose intolerance

Dairy & other food sensitivities

Your baby *could* be lactose intolerant, but from what I understand this is pretty uncommon.

It is much more common for babies to be sensitive / allergic to the cow milk proteins that pass through in mom's breastmilk.

Would you be willing to eliminate ALL dairy from your diet for a couple of weeks and see if any of your baby's symptoms improve?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

By allowing baby to fully drain one breast before switching your baby reaches the hind milk which is higher in fat content.

What was baby's lowest weight after birth? Your average weight gain right now counting from 7-5, is excellent according to LLL's Breastfeeding Answer Book. It states average weight gain in a breast fed baby is around 6 ounces. You are a hair over 6 ounces a week. Good job!

Have you seen the breastfed baby growth charts? I wonder if it's possible your dr hasn't had a lot of experience with breastfed babys? It might be a good thing to share this information: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

His lowest weight when we left the hospital was 6lbs 14 oz. I feel so much better after looking at the growth chart for breastfed babies! I was happily breastfeeding thinking everything was okay until the doctor apt. I think when we go back in 2 weeks I am going to bring that chart! To think I almost gave up breastfeeding I don't think he is lactose intolerant I am thinking maybe we have issues with him getting enough hindmilk is there any way of knowing if he is getting enough hindmilk? I was also wondering if the green poop could be in response to his shots he received on Friday?? Today his poop is more yellowish and seedy. Thanks so much for your help I have been very emotional thinking I was going to have to give up breastfeeding but I think we will be able to continue I just need to make sure he is getting enough hindmilk...any ideas? Thanks again!

You count weight gain from the lowest point. At 6- 14 you have a total weight gain of 58 ounces in 8 weeks. This is 7+ ounces per week. Your baby is gaining weight fast!
    If you are seeing at least 6 or so wet disposable diapers ( more for cloth diapers) and at least 3 or so poops per day, your baby is meeting goals for adequate breastmilk. Like I said, your weight gain is super duper, it sounds like everything might be fine.

Many babies will have a reaction to shots and have green poop. It can be normal to have green poops thrown into regular mustard colored ones every once and a while.

If you want to give your Dr a copy of the growth chart make sure to be clear that it is from the World Health Organization.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; May 19th, 2008 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mackteacher28 View Post
    To think I almost gave up breastfeeding I don't think he is lactose intolerant I am thinking maybe we have issues with him getting enough hindmilk is there any way of knowing if he is getting enough hindmilk?
    Allow your lo to "empty" the 1st breast before switching and he will get the hind milk. Your breast will feel softer then when you started with no firm spots (full ducts). He may fill up on the one and pull off when finished. Only other way to know I think would be to pump. The foremilk is noteable thinner and waterier then the hind.

I feed my son on one breast each feeding for this reason as well.