Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what could be wrong...

Default what could be wrong...

I just posted the other day about my ds not nursing from the left side and now he won't nurse from either without a fight. My husband thinks he could be teething, he will be 4 mo. old in about a week. He has nursed today and yesterday, but he screams and arches his back and won't suck but for a few seconds and if the milk isn't coming out he screams again. Is there something called delayed let down or slow let down? I don't remember this happening with my other two children quite like this. I also think my son could be tongue tied, my husband is, and I can see that the little piece of skin connecting his tongue and the bottom of his mouth comes almost to the tip of his tongue. My other theory is that because he is tongue tied he is not stimiulating the breast enough to cause the let down and milk production. My husband keeps telling me not to worry too much about it. I am not concerned about my sons weight yet. He is really chubby and seems to be growing fine, but I am worried that this problem is not going to go away, but get worse. What do you think...please help me figure this out. I want nursing to be easy and comfortable. I have two other kids that need their mom I can't be sitting on the couch with a screaming baby for too long. TIA

Default Re: what could be wrong...

is he getting any bottles? that can cause nipple confusion
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr99p43.html
    tounge tie almost always makes your nipples sore.. do you have any problems with that?

thursh can cause the baby to pull off, it hurts their mouth to nurse.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

heres a good link too that might help you figure out what is causing the problem

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

don't be afraid to call your local lll leader she can help beter than we can on-line.

thanks for the link to that site. It looks like it has a lot of information that will be helpful. We had a better morning. I think I am just freaking out for no reason. He isn't a constant nurser like my other son was and that makes me think something is wrong. He only wants to nurse when he is hungry and now that he is a little older he is going longer between nursings. I do still have to trick him to nurse from the other side which is frustrating but I will deal. Thanks again for the link.

to answer some of your question... I don't have nipple soreness and he isn't getting any bottles and no thrush so I think he just prefers the other side. Oh, well...I guess I can deal with being lop-sided for a while.

I do still have to trick him to nurse from the other side which is frustrating but I will deal. Thanks again for the link.

to answer some of your question... I don't have nipple soreness and he isn't getting any bottles and no thrush so I think he just prefers the other side. Oh, well...I guess I can deal with being lop-sided for a while.
    Have you asked your pediatrician about your thoughts on your son being tongue tied?

This is a great resource with information regarding baby's preferring one side over the other. It's very common for breasts to have a different supply, let down and flow. Our little ones are pretty smart and figure out which one they prefer. My baby girl liked the slower side when she was young (I have OALD/oversupply), because the let down was too hard and fast on the other for her. Now that she's older she can keep up better and actually gets mad when the milk doesn't come as quickly. Picky, picky!

Lopsided! What can I do?
    ...When baby prefers one side, or when supply or breast size is greater on one side

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon