Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SNS not working for me! Nervous about Domperidone.

Default SNS not working for me! Nervous about Domperidone.

Ok I got the SNS tried it a few times and my DD is not taking to it AT ALL! I cant do anything to get her on he breast. Not when she is hungry, not when she has eaten, not when she wants to comfort suck, not when she is tired, not when she is sleeping. Not even with a nipple shield. She throws these horrible fits everytime I try. I am getting so frustrated. Even the SNS thing doesnt work, not even with the nipple shield. I am finishing my 3rd week of trying to relactate. I notice a difference but it is still minimal. If I can never get her on the breast again, is this relactation thing going to work for me? I dont care if I have to be an exclusive pumper, as long as she gets bm is all I care about.

I am taking the fenugreek 3 times a day.
    I am drinking mothers milk tea twice a day
    I am eating oatmeal everyday.
    I am staying away from alcohol and caffiene.
    I am taking my prenantal vitamens.
    I am pumping about 10 times a day (once in the middle of the night) with the Medela PIS
    I make time for skin to skin contact
    I ordered the new Native Sling (just got it today and she hates it so far)
    I oredered the Domperidone and it should be coming in a week or so.
    We co sleep.

JUst doing these things will I be able to get a supply again. I am just getting frustrated with such little progress in three weeks. Help me!

Another thing. I found this on a site about the Domperidone from the FDA. Have you all ever heard of this or heard of anything bad happening to mothers who have taken it? It is kind of freaking me out.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/departs/2004/504_upd.html#moms

Default Re: SNS not working for me! Nervous about Domperidone.

My midwife took Dom. and said that there were no side effects and is much prefered to Reglan. One of the side effects of Reglan is depression. I admit I was leary about trying a non FDA approved drug when I encountered supply issues, so I understand your hesistancy. If you want to know more about the drug and other ppl's experiences you might try the breast feeding after reduction website.

www.bfar.org

What you are doing is so hard, you are doing a great job!
    Last edited by britebow; July 27th, 2006 at 08:02 PM.

Hi Andrea,
    You are working so hard at this! I can tell it's really important for you to try everything you can to nurse your daughter.
    Do you have any local help? Are you close to a Leader? Were you able to find a Board-certified lactation consultant to work with?

Mary

I do. I have talked to a LLLL and a LC they both suggest trying to get my DD back to the breast. I am having so much trouble with this. Everytime I try she hysterical and takes a while to calm down. My question is...with doing just what I am doing and say I can never get her to the breast...is this relactation thing going to work? I dont care if I have to be a exclusive pumper, as long as she gets my bm I am happy.

Hi, from Canada
    My midwives recommended taking Blessed Thistle capsules, 3 capsules 3Xday.
    You take this at the same time as Fenugreek to hopefully boost milk production.
    I tried this, but needed a boost with Domperidone and this was taken with no side effects for me or DS.
    I used it for 3 weeks then weaned off.
    Emotional stress also played a big part in my milk production issues and once I relaxed nursing went much better.
    It is still hard for DS and I at times but we are going into our 5 month!!
    Keep trying!

my supply was building when he wouldn't latch ... but it was A LOT slower. but still after a few weeks he was up to 3 oz a day.

it could be a slower process if she doesn't latch but you can still give her some of your milk!

just you have to remove milk to make milk. I am constantly expressing. it really helps. when you see no more milk, massage and try to get a little more out

goodluck