Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Question

Question Bottle Question

I'm trying to get my 3 1/2 month old used to taking pumped breastmilk from a bottle, but he wants no part of it. My husband and my mother have both tried feeding him while I leave the apartment and he just cries and cries. I've been using the Medela bottles. Any suggestions? Has anyone had luck with other brands of bottles? I'm going back to work in a few weeks and this is really worrying me.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Bottle Question

I'm sorry you're having problems. I know it's worrying but you have to just keep trying.

I used the Medela bottles as well because you can pump right into them and they are BPA-free (very important). The problem I had with those bottles, though, was that the nipples collapse easily. So I switched to Born Free bottles which have these great valves that prevent nipple collapse. And they're BPA-free as well. They're expensive, though. About $9 a bottle - but they're worth it. Very sturdy bottles.

Good luck!

I've had success with the Nuk nipples (the bottles may have BPA you have to watch for it) and Nuby nipples (which we have been using on the Gerber bottles that are BPA free). The Nuby nipples are nice because they don't drip. The baby has to actually suck to make milk come out.

Another thing to try is make sure the bottle nipple is warm. My LO has a hard time taking cold nipples although she is more use to it now. She doesn't mind cold milk but she wants the nipple warmed up!

+ = Working Mommy to Sophie born 4/1/08 (our little April Fool )

The only way we can get my son to take a bottle is get him going good on the pacifier and then switch to the bottle. This still only works for my dh and my mom. We use second nature bottles and nipples.
    Exclusively , , and when we find the time !!! And now loving Totally bleesed with born 2-25-08.