Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diet to prevent gas. Need your advice.

Default Diet to prevent gas. Need your advice.

My newborn 3 weeks is gassy and throws up a lot. She has been on zantac for the past 3-4 days and does not seem to be helping very much. She still throws up if you so much as put her down horizontally after feeding.

I have been feeling very gassy myself. Does this mean that my BM could be making her gassy ?

I am thinking of going on a "avoid anything gas causing" diet to see if it helps. There are so many things I am supposed to avoid, I figured it would be easier to list out what I CAN eat, instead of what I CANNOT eat.

So... is there any fool proof diet that I can eat to prevent gassiness in my LO ? I dont mind if its bland and not tasty

Breaks my heart to see her spit up and look terrified when stuff comes out of her nose...

Default Re: Diet to prevent gas. Need your advice.

If she has reflux, nothing will prevent the spit up until she outgrows it. Zantac just reduces the stomach acid to prevent the regurgitation's harmful effects, it doesn't stop spit up. But I wouldn't worry about it. Holding her upright for a while after each feeding and smaller, more frequent feedings (maybe one breast at a time) could help too.
    As for the gas, in my experience nothing helps much until the baby grows up to be around 3 months old (some people say 11 pounds). Their digestive system is just too small to handle gas and some babies are more prone to be gassy I guess. Drinking fennel tea and eating coconuts (myself) helped my son's gas a little but I think what I ate (even broccoli and beans) didn't change much.

Do you feel like you have a lot of milk? Does your baby choke, cough, or gasp while nursing? If your baby pulls off during a feed, does your milk spray forcefully?

yes!
    she pulls away etc., my breasts leak, no spraying. I think it was brought on by pumping which they told me to do, perhaps it was unnecessary...

no frothy green stools though, I am doin g the "finish one breast frst" thing, it seems to be getting better, less leaking

she just threw up, retching just now. stuff out of the nose again and the second retching she was vertical - so keeping her upright is having not much efect,

do I try to feed her again since she thrw up ? she is not a very communicative baby, she roots all the time and alternatively sleeps, so I cant tell if she is hungry or not. Does not do any non-nutritive sucking- its suck swallow=suck swallow at a great speed every time she nurses.

thanks for listening

My baby does the same thing with the rooting. I drain one breast at a time and burp her every five minutes during feedings. She has to look like she is starving to get a second breast. You can feed her after spits up.

Is she "colicky"? If she is, you may want to avoid dairy. That can take two or more weeks to see results though. Good luck.
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

Sound like my LO. LOTS of gas and the screaming that comes with it and projectile, voluminous spitup. The first time it came out of her nose I freaked!

A fast letdown and lots of milk can aggravate this situation. We had some luck pumping off the first five minutes in the morning to reduce flow. This reduced her gulping and intake of air, hence less gas.

I also, through experimentation, found that leafy green vegetables and green beans were huge offenders. After eliminating those we had significantly less gas and far more pleasant evenings with LO.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

My LO had awlful gas issues as well as reflux. I truely believe that the gripe water helped her a lot with the gas. I also help her release the gas by rubbing her abdomen first counter clockwise then clockwise. Then I pull her legs above her head and out it comes.
    As for the spit up, make sure you hold her upright for at LEAST 30 min. after every feed. I have also minimized my milk intake because she apparently was having issues breaking down the milk protein in my milk, many babies w/reflux have the same issues.
    I've learned that w/issues such as these you need to be very patient. The road will get brighter!
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby