Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast shield too big!

Default Breast shield too big!

Anyone else have this problem? Apparently most people have the opposite problem, since the 21mm shields are extremely hard to find! I even called medela and they werent much help. I ended up finiding them on Amazon. But anyways... if the breast shield is too big, can that cause my pumping output to decrease? DD is almost 10 months old now and I have been using the 24mm shields since birth, but over the past few months my pumping output has significantly decreased and I am having to supplement while at work( I work 3 12 hour shifts per week). Does anyone know if getting the smaller shields would help? I really dont want to have to purchase them and pay shipping and all if they are not going to work. Thanks!

Default Re: Breast shield too big!

I have heard that using shields that are not the right size can cause problems with your supply.

My only thought is that you have used those shields for a while, and only now are you noticing a decrease in supply. Has anything else changed?? Gotten your period, pregnant, stress??

You may find that the smaller shields will help.... But you never know.

I'm sorry, not much help.

Good luck.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

breast shields too big or too small can affect supply. is it possible the shields might be too small, rather than too big?

Quote Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
    breast shields too big or too small can affect supply. is it possible the shields might be too small, rather than too big?
    No, its deff too big. My enite areola fits into the tube of the shield.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    I have heard that using shields that are not the right size can cause problems with your supply.

My only thought is that you have used those shields for a while, and only now are you noticing a decrease in supply. Has anything else changed?? Gotten your period, pregnant, stress??

You may find that the smaller shields will help.... But you never know.

I'm sorry, not much help.

Good luck.
    started shortly after I got my period back and moved from texas to fla and started working more frequently. I know my supply is fine though, because I dont feel empty after pumping and DD gets plenty when Im with her.