Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing Milk Supply

Default Increasing Milk Supply

Hi Ladies!

I am mother to Addison who is 14 weeks old today. I am trying to figure out how to increase my milk supply so that I can feed her strictly bm while I am at work during the day. Unfortunately right now, I cannot seem to pump enough so she gets a combo of bm and formula while at daycare. Any help/advice would be appreciated! :-)

Thank you!!!

Default Re: Increasing Milk Supply

Can you tell us a little more about how much you're sending to DC and how often she nurses at home?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Sounds like your working really hard to provide breastmilk for your baby. That's awesome, and any amount of BM is great.
    Eat oatmeal
    Stay hydrated
    Consider taking herbs like fenugreek and/or blessed thistle
    The most important - more stimulation. The more demand (from either nursing or pumping), the more supply you'll have.

You could also talk to your doctor about some prescription meds to increase milk supply.

And check out the pumping threads for tips on how to pump more effectively. A lot of those ladies are very experienced and can recommend some pumping schedules, techniques.
    Keep up the good work and good luck.
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

I am currently sending about 4 1/2 ounces to daycare which is generally about what she is eating in one sitting.She tends to nurse anywhere between every 2 to 3 hours. (Sometimes more if she is fussy..) The BM that I send covers only one bottle..the rest of her bottles for the day (anywhere between two and three more) are formula.

Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water. Oatmeal and fenugreek help, too. And pump, pump, pump! As PP said, the more stimulation you get, the more you will produce. When I was dealing with supply issues, there were times when I pumped after every single feeding, which was exhausing, but it helped.
    Robin

I'm going to move this to Working and Breastfeeding

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I'm thinking about getting More Milk Plus capsules....do you HAVE to take it 4 times per day, or can some get by with just a couple of times a day with the results they need? I don't have a low supply per sey, I just want to increase it enough for extra milk to pump. KWIM? I really don't want overkill!

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)