Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help...

Default need help...

My DS is not taking to the weaning so well. Once in a while he will take the bottle and other times he will not.

I have already pumped and mixed BM with Formula and he's transitioned to stright formula and only gets one bottle of it a day but like I said most of the time he wont take it.

I've tired leaving the house while DH feeds him, I've tried feeding him in another position/room from where we BF, I've tried giving it to him in the BF position on boppy....

Any tips?

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Default Re: need help...

How were things today?

Have you tried offering in a sippy cup? Is your baby taking any solids?

Well, I dunno. My heart is just breaking into a million peices. He drank 3.5oz but it took him 1hr of on and off screaming to do so.

I wish I was in perfect health and I wish he didn't have such bad reflux and I wish I didn't have to work. Then I could nurse him as long as he wants

Ontop of all of this I think I see his first tooth. Could this be the casue? Could the nipple of the bottle be more harsh on his gums then my nipple?

I was trying rice cereal but he's not to into the taset of it. We tried at 5 months and he was so into it but we had to stop because he was getting consitpated etc. So we started to try it now that he's 6 months and he's just not to into it. No sippy cup yet, isn't he too young? He's taken the bottle before when it was BM that I pumped.... I think this is more of I want mommy not the bottle but I don't know.

My DS started learning how to take a sippy at 5.5 mo., but he wasn't really good at it for a while, but I didn't really press him hard either. I would suggest if you do decide to try it, get a few different types, prefferably with no valve, or take the valve out. It's hard to suck enough when they are that young, and I think they get frustrated when they suck and nothing comes out.
    Have you tried a different type of bottle/nipple? I know some bottles can help reduce gas/reflux and some kids(esp. BF babies) are really picky about the nipple. Also, when I did use a bottle with my son, which I have to admit I'm no expert on that, he did better if I warmed the nipple and put it way back in his mouth like I would have my breast.
    FWIW, I used the gerber NUK nipples that where really wide, I think they mimicked my breast better.
    HTH
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Today was a little better. He took almost a full 2oz with out any crying or screaming. I then burped him and tried to give more but he started to get upset so I figured that was enough for one day and I will just hope that tomorrow he will take a little more and be just as good about it

It's not the bottle/nipples and I say this because I've been using the same ones all along. I used to pump so DH or grandma could feed him once in a while. I also pumped to have bottles at night. I know it's the taste of the formula vs mommy juice, again it breaks my heart

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!!!

Have you tried different temperatures with the formula? If you try it really cold or very hot (of course not too hot!), you may have better luck since when he drinks he will not notice the flavor so much. Just some advice I got when trying to wean DS to elemental formula which are just about the nastiest formulas.

Also, if his reflux is not under control he will not be as willing to drink. Not sure if you are doing anything to treat it, but figured it was worth mentioning.

I hope it starts to get better....my DS was not taking to weaning either and has given me a run for my money as well
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Intresting - no I did not think to warm it up to loose the taste. I just might try that. How do I warm it? I am currently serveing it at room temp. He's eatting the Nutramagine formula because he had consitipation issues and pains from the reg. Similac. I have an allergy to the protien in cows milk so the doc. figured this would be the best way to start off now. He's been on zantac since 6 weeks old it was so bad and as soon as he started zantac he got like 90% better and when I stopped eating the trigger foods it got 100% better!

Thanks for the info.... worth a try!

Just an update - I changed formulas and bottles and now Jake is doing well. Sadly we are on our last week of nursing but I have to say the dropping one session per week REALLY helps not just him adjust mentaly / attachment wise but we as well.

I am soooo thankful I was able to nurse him for 7 months and so thankful that I got to bond with him like I did

Thanks everyone for the help!

I'm glad things are going a little bit beter for you guys.
    SOmetimes it just takes them a while to figure the bottle out.

how are solids going?

Well I'm skipping rice - I went right to Barely and he's doing fine - he loves it. We tried carrots and he seems ok with them. I tried prunes and he's not happy with those LOL Now I'm doing oatmeal (yes, I mixed it up a bit)... he's not drinking water, I've been trying for over a week now. I went out and got a born free traning cup to see if he will take it from that. We will see how that goes. He's backed up in the dirty diaper department. He goes once a day and it's painful for him so I have him on pedialyte. He's having a rough time.

So sad that someone so innocent and so loveable can have issues at such an early age. However, he is a really happy baby