Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk of Magnesia?

Default Milk of Magnesia?

I had (whatever the procedure is called) many stitches from one end to the other with his birth last week and was told to start taking Milk of Magnesia to avoid tearing my stitches any worse than have already happened. I am worried that this is going to get passed on in the breast milk and upset his tummy. Is this true or is there a better thing I can use? Stool softeners do not help.

Default Re: Milk of Magnesia?

You had an episiotomy, and from the description, you tore pretty bad and had the cut. It is important NOT to strain while having a bowel movement. Eat a lot of fiber-rich foods. This helps your stool become soft and to pass easier. Drink lots and lots and lots of fluids, it's better if you can stand water. (helps the stool pass better)
    MOM shouldn't cause any trouble in your little one. Magnesium in of itself is a natural laxative. The stool softeners are necessary to help soften the stool so you don't have to bear down. How long has it been since you've had a BM? Are you constipated? Is your stool hard and lots of little hard balls? Try to change your diet to less soda, more healthy choices, like chicken, turkey and carbs. You'll need this anyway for the extra calories for breastfeeding.
    Definitely do your sitz baths, that helps blood come to the areas where there are stitches and helps heal the area. Try and walk a lot. Stay away from foods that cause gas: broccoli, beans, red meat. This can transfer in breast milk.
    As for MOM transfering in breastmilk, it's possible. MOM is used as an antiacid or a laxative. It's all the the amount of dosages. 30 mg is antiacid, 60 mg is laxative.
    All medicines taken by mom is transfered in breastmilk. The degree of amount that is transfered varies. I am sorry, I don't have any link about what is safe and what isn't, but I've heard that www.kellymom.com is a good site to go to about several issues.
    I'm a nurse, but not a mom/baby nurse, but I do know about constipation and the issues that go along with it.
    How long have you been taking the MOM/stool softeners?

HIH!!
    Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.

It has been rough. my OB put me on iron supplements and stool softeners from day 1 (last Monday), which has caused constipation. I increased my intake of water to about 4 liters/day minimum but I am still tearing when I go, which is daily. I called the office and her assistant told me to take MOM (my OB is out of the office on call until Tuesday). I took a cap dosage and I was OK, but the little one was more gassy and cried before going. It didn't seem normal, so I sopped taking the MOM, but now I am afraid to go because I tear and bleed for a good 12 hours afterwards. I take the sitz baths 2x a day or more and flush. I also am (still) drinking my fiber, V8, and taking my prenatals. I haven't taken a stool softener yet today, I wasn't seeing a difference and was hoping something would work better.

Quote Originally Posted by muxe13 View Post
    You had an episiotomy, and from the description, you tore pretty bad and had the cut. It is important NOT to strain while having a bowel movement. Eat a lot of fiber-rich foods. This helps your stool become soft and to pass easier. Drink lots and lots and lots of fluids, it's better if you can stand water. (helps the stool pass better)
    MOM shouldn't cause any trouble in your little one. Magnesium in of itself is a natural laxative. The stool softeners are necessary to help soften the stool so you don't have to bear down. How long has it been since you've had a BM? Are you constipated? Is your stool hard and lots of little hard balls? Try to change your diet to less soda, more healthy choices, like chicken, turkey and carbs. You'll need this anyway for the extra calories for breastfeeding.
    Definitely do your sitz baths, that helps blood come to the areas where there are stitches and helps heal the area. Try and walk a lot. Stay away from foods that cause gas: broccoli, beans, red meat. This can transfer in breast milk.
    As for MOM transfering in breastmilk, it's possible. MOM is used as an antiacid or a laxative. It's all the the amount of dosages. 30 mg is antiacid, 60 mg is laxative.
    All medicines taken by mom is transfered in breastmilk. The degree of amount that is transfered varies. I am sorry, I don't have any link about what is safe and what isn't, but I've heard that www.kellymom.com is a good site to go to about several issues.
    I'm a nurse, but not a mom/baby nurse, but I do know about constipation and the issues that go along with it.
    How long have you been taking the MOM/stool softeners?

HIH!!
    Nicki

Try and take the stool softeners. They will help eventually. Your iron supplements will constipate you. It's common to be prescribed a stool softener while on iron. Are you anemic? Why do you need iron?

I'm so sorry you have had such a hard time!! It seems like you have stitches around your bum?
    You can ask your GP about anything else for constipation. I like teas to help. Try looking in the generic section of your local store and see what teas are available. I wouldn't stop taking the stool softeners. You make need to see if you need to up the dosage. I would insist on being heard in your OB office. Or go see your GP.
    It sounds like you are doing everything you're supposed to do. Your digestive tract seems like it's getting back to normal. The movement that causes food to move in the bowel is called peristalsis. This slows down during pregnancy to make the most of the nutrients for baby. It is also affected by hormones. Now that your hormones are a little out of whack, you could be having peristalsis problems.
    I don't know much about your history, but I think your biggest culprit at this moment is the iron. It constipates terribly. I would want to find out why you still need it. (Iron constipates adults and older children, not newborns who are breastfed)

I hope this helps!!

Nicki
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    So love being a momma!!

I was rather out of it when she explained it all. From what I understand it was from the blood loss. It is for 2 weeks, so it isn't permanent but they are still not fun now. I had the original episiotomy, but still tore. He was almost 9 lbs, and I am almost 6' tall, but still his head was just too big! I can call the 24 hr question line for my OB, my GP doesn't know a lot about pregnancy. She prescribed me Motrin while I was 4 months, which flipped my OB out. I will have to talk to her and try to see what else I can do or if I can stop taking the extra Iron early.
    I was happy to not need a C-section because of the recovery time, but now I am down for 2 weeks and walk with a gimp so I guess no way is easy when it comes down to it. Im happy he is healthy. Thank you for your help!

Try and take the stool softeners. They will help eventually. Your iron supplements will constipate you. It's common to be prescribed a stool softener while on iron. Are you anemic? Why do you need iron?

I'm so sorry you have had such a hard time!! It seems like you have stitches around your bum?
    You can ask your GP about anything else for constipation. I like teas to help. Try looking in the generic section of your local store and see what teas are available. I wouldn't stop taking the stool softeners. You make need to see if you need to up the dosage. I would insist on being heard in your OB office. Or go see your GP.
    It sounds like you are doing everything you're supposed to do. Your digestive tract seems like it's getting back to normal. The movement that causes food to move in the bowel is called peristalsis. This slows down during pregnancy to make the most of the nutrients for baby. It is also affected by hormones. Now that your hormones are a little out of whack, you could be having peristalsis problems.
    I don't know much about your history, but I think your biggest culprit at this moment is the iron. It constipates terribly. I would want to find out why you still need it. (Iron constipates adults and older children, not newborns who are breastfed)

I hope this helps!!

Nicki

You're so welcome!! I would call the 24 hr hotline and tell them that you are having difficulty having a regular BM. They may schedule you for blood draw to see where your blood levels are. Prolly will keep you on the stool softeners. I had a c-section, and needed Toradol in the hosptial. But I still took the stool softeners. I'm so glad I did!! I couldn't bear down. I had to wait for "nature to take her course". I was terribly constipated at first.
    I hope things work out for you!! Good luck mama!! Keep your head up!! You'll get through this!!

Nicki
    So love being a momma!!

Quote Originally Posted by ardnael View Post
    I had (whatever the procedure is called) many stitches from one end to the other with his birth last week and was told to start taking Milk of Magnesia to avoid tearing my stitches any worse than have already happened. I am worried that this is going to get passed on in the breast milk and upset his tummy. Is this true or is there a better thing I can use? Stool softeners do not help.
    I had a similar experience with stitches/tearing with bm. However, in hindsight I wasn't being very smart and did NOT take a laxative. Slight overshare ahead: My son was born on Tuesday, and I didn't move my bowels until Saturday. I'm sure you get the picture. I did take stool softeners, but this did nothing for the immediate problem. However, I would encourage you to keep taking them for as long as your doctor recommends, because they do make a difference in the long run. The softeners cause your bowels to hold on to some water so your stool will not become hard, bulky, and difficult to pass.

Milk of Magnesia is listed as L1 (Lactation Risk Category--one is the safest) in Medications and Mothers' Milk (2006).
    On page 543 it says in part:
    Poorly absorbed from maternal GI tract.
    Here's a link that offers information on many types of laxatives for breastfeeding mothers:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/laxatives.html

And here is some information about gas in breastfed babies:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

Quote Originally Posted by ardnael View Post
    It has been rough. my OB put me on iron supplements and stool softeners from day 1 (last Monday), which has caused constipation. I increased my intake of water to about 4 liters/day minimum but I am still tearing when I go, which is daily. I called the office and her assistant told me to take MOM (my OB is out of the office on call until Tuesday). I took a cap dosage and I was OK, but the little one was more gassy and cried before going. It didn't seem normal, so I sopped taking the MOM, but now I am afraid to go because I tear and bleed for a good 12 hours afterwards. I take the sitz baths 2x a day or more and flush. I also am (still) drinking my fiber, V8, and taking my prenatals. I haven't taken a stool softener yet today, I wasn't seeing a difference and was hoping something would work better.
    Maybe ask your doctor about skipping the prenatal until given the okay to stop the iron supplement? It seems plausible that between the two supplements, excess iron could be a cause of the difficult to pass stools.

As an aside, here's a list of good food sources of iron:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...ml#ironsources

All medicines taken by mom is transfered in breastmilk. The degree of amount that is transfered varies.
    Some medications contain molecules that are too large to pass into milk and some are poorly absorbed in the GI tract and never make to the milk, so in actuality, not all medications are transfered via breastmilk. Of course, there are several important considerations to take when it comes to breastfeeding and medications and how the mother's body utilizes them is only one. Below are some helpful resources regarding breastfeeding and medications:
    http://www.ibreastfeeding.com/pample...nd%20Drugs.pdf
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/medications.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Medications-Mo.../dp/0977226832
    http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT