Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stay at home Mom

Default stay at home Mom

My daughter just turned a year and I still breastfeed. ALL THE TIME. she would hang all day if I let her. My son wasn"t thisw bad. Anyone else?

Default Re: stay at home Mom

What does your doc say about this? This doesn't sound common to me. My DD is 14 months and feeds 4 times a day and I'm thinking about cutting it to three. It's hard, I know. Along with breastfeeding she's eating real food about 4 times a day too. How often is your baby eating real food?

[quote]What does your doc say about this? This doesn't sound common to me. My DD is 14 months and feeds 4 times a day and I'm thinking about cutting it to three. It's hard, I know. Along with breastfeeding she's eating real food about 4 times a day too. How often is your baby eating real food? Today 06:09 PM[quote]

Breastmilk IS real food. It's as real as it gets. Actually, most Doctors are not educated on breastfeeding, and give bad advice. The WHO recommends BF for 2 years or more. Nursing all day at 12 months is very normal. This is a real tough age. They are hitting many milestones, and learning they are very separate from you. Separation anxiety has its first peak. Nursing is more than nutrition for them. It is a way of feeling connected to mama. My LO nursed ALL the time at 12 months. I know it is tough, but your LO will slow down when she is ready!

Here are some links on extended BF, especially to help educate the previous poster...
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...stfeeding.html

Breastfed toddlers get complete nutrition
    Research shows that the fat and energy content of breastmilk actually increases after the first year.8 Breastmilk adapts to a toddler's developing system, providing exactly the right amount of nutrition at exactly the right time.9 In fact, research shows that between the ages of 12 and 24 months, 448 milliliters of a mother's milk provide these percentages of the following minimum daily requirements:

Energy 29%
    Folate 76%
    Protein 43%
    Vitamin B12 94%
    Calcium 36%
    Vitamin C 60%10
    Vitamin A 75%

Unlike cow's milk, which can cause allergies and digestive problems, human milk provides complete nutrition.11 Nursing gives Tumwater, Washington, mom Tracey Chandos confidence that her picky 16-month-old is getting enough to eat: "It is so hard to tell how much food goes in a toddler's stomach versus how much ends up on the floor. Toddlers can love everything you give them one day and hardly eat anything the next."12 Even when your son will eat only fish crackers for three days straight, you can still be confident he's getting his nutrients. And because human milk is digested quickly and easily, nursing during an illness ensures that your child is getting both fluids and vital nutrients to help him recover.13

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    Last edited by KathrynK; May 17th, 2008 at 05:42 PM.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by Laryn41 View Post
    My daughter just turned a year and I still breastfeed. ALL THE TIME. she would hang all day if I let her. My son wasn"t thisw bad. Anyone else?
    Yep. Right here!!! Ds turns one in a week and I see no signs of slowing down yet. I wondered this very thing so I'm glad you asked.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Yes my daughter eats 3 to 4 solid meals a day. If she is onmy lap she is trying to get down my shirt. Back and forth to each nipple. Like I am sure I said before it seems to me like comfort. It doesn't bother me at all.. I know when I am ready to stop it will be time. At a year everyone was telling me "it's time to stop bf" my son. i said I am not ready yet. At 15mnths I was ready and I had no trouble weaning him. He is 7 now so I am sure i didn't have to wean. he was ready himself. My daughter loves it and it is definitley for the best. I am a "pro" from what people tell me. 4 hrs in a car to pittsburgh i nursed her in a moving car while in her seat. Just lifted up, bent over and there you go....

Thanks Ladies