Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cheerios?

Default Cheerios?

When did you introduce your LO to cheerios? DD is almost 8 months now, and I know some LO's her age are eating cheerios. I am confused ... I thought wheat was a no-no until 1 year. Is that only if there is a family history? Also, if your LO has a reaction, how do you know which ingredient in cheerios caused it? I also am only doing organic food with DD, so any good organic alternatives?

TIA!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Default Re: Cheerios?

I bought another brand - Cascadian Farms (they're organic) and they contain oats but no wheat. I think my DD was younger than yours or around that age when we started giving them.

I thought that wheat was to be introduced after rice and oatmeal cereals. (if you do cereals) I think my LO started Cheerios at about 9 months.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

I started it around 8 months when his doctor recommended it to me. It's his most favorite food, can't live without. Some days he eat only Cheerios and breast milk.

We did rice puffs instead of Cheerios. They do contain sugar and wheat. But you can find organic alternatives.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

We did regular cheerios at around 8 months. They were fun! I didn't know about the wheat allergy until I had already given DS wheat toast, so I wasn't particularly worried about regular cheerios.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

There are organic rice puffs that only contain brown rice, nothing else added. They're great for picking up off the high-chair tray. Not very expensive either.

just a note:

Cheerios has an ingredient in it called Trisodium Phosphate (sp) otherwise known as TSP: the chemical that one uses to take wallpaper paste off walls. My SIL called the company and asked why its in it and they said "b/c it makes it float".

We use (organic) Oatie-Os... Although thus far, our 1 year old just feeds them to the dogs