Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still sick and need some help

Default Still sick and need some help

Well, i feel like it has been forever since dd has been able to breath through her nose, it was better, but came back with a vengence on sunday... so now we've got runny/stuffy nose, cough, and not wanting to nurse!!! that is my problem!!!
    We have used saline/bm up the nose, booger sucker, vaporizor, vicks, showers, you name it!!! the cough it new, only the past 24 hours, but i can't get her to nurse for more than a few minutes. she isn't crying, just sucking her thumb instead... she is over 5 mos, and we thought it might be due to teething, but i don't know what else to do for her... and advice would be great - tia

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Default Re: Still sick and need some help

Is she actually sick or do you think there could be some other issues, like allergy things abrewing??
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

yeah, that was the other possibility... everythings blooming, but we've had rain the past few days and i thought that it would get better if there was no pollen in the air... i don't even know if the dr will give her anything for it though, every time we told them about her stuffiness they just say use saline, but that just isn't working... now, i just nursed her and she had to pull off twice and had a coughing spell, oh it was horrible! it was like she couldnt catch her breath i just feel so bad! If i take a lot of vit C, will that help her at all?

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Here's some info about vitamins taken by mom

Water soluble vitamin supplements (e.g., B vitamins, vitamin C) taken by the mother usually increase breastmilk levels. Breastmilk levels of some water soluble vitamins, such as vitamin C, only increase up to a certain point, then remain steady – even if mom increases her dose.
    (from this page)

But - having said that it won't help her if it's not a cold/type issue....

I'm wondering if you have any certain foods you could be eating that could be a contributor to it. Things like dairy can cause such congestion in babies. (more about that here)
    Other signs of a food allergy may include: rash, hives, eczema, sore bottom, dry skin; wheezing or asthma; congestion or cold-like symptoms; red, itchy eyes; ear infections; irritability, fussiness, colic; intestinal upsets, vomiting, constipation and/or diarrhea, or green stools with mucus or blood.
    emphasis mine

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

grrr. my whole post just errased.... ok anyway -i just told dh that i noticed eczema patches on her arms and legs in the past few days! i'm trying to figure out if i ate anything different, but i don't think that i have... i have had yogurt since day one, same with milk, and not other issues up til now... so now i just have to figure out what it could be... right now she is yelling and spitting and hitting herslef in the nose!! she doesn't like being stuffy either thanks!!

12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in