Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this okay???

Default Is this okay???

My dd is 4.5 months old. She is pretty consistant in when she eats, but yesterday she sttn (7:30-6:30) and woke up dry. She was dry when I put her down at 7:30- the last time that I changed her was 5:00. She then was dry until 1:30 (w/ a bm) and 4. So that is only 3 wet diapers in a day. I took her to the dr and he said that when they get older they just have less and I should worry unless she goes 24 hrs without a wet diaper at all.

So she again woke up dry this morning. Am I just paranoid or is she not getting enough? She only ate yesterday as follows: 6:30 6oz, 1000 6 oz, 130 6.25 oz, 500 4.75 oz and then woke at 400am to eat. Is she getting enough? I only bf her at night, during the day she gets bottles of ebm. We were having issues with her latching when she was awake and decided that ebm was best for us and I like it b/c I can see how much she is getting a little better.

Will her sttn affect my supply? Should I wake and pump if she is sleeping 11hrs without eating like she did last night. I couldnt sleep b/c I hurt but was worried that as soon as I pumped she would wake and I would be "empty".

The ped also said that she should be eating only 2x her body weight. Currently 13.5 lbs. So thats 27 oz, but I thought it was 2.5 x which would be 34 oz. She is eating closer to the 27 but I am worried that she is not eating enough.

DH thinks that I am paranoid and over-protective, but I just want to make sure that she is getting the best start possible. He laughed at the fact that I left work early and picked dd up from dc to take her to the drs. He says its just b/c im a new mom and have no experience with babies. He is the oldest of 6 so he apparently is an expert. (although he thought it was okay to heat bm in the microwave)
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

Default Re: Is this okay???

The average is 19 to 30+ ounces per day consumed. If you are seeing only 3 wets I would agree there needs to be more milk placed in her tummy. 4 months is right around a growth spurt time where they cluster fed when nursing in order to get additional calories.

It is important to respect and honor when your mommy alarm goes off. You are the real expert in your baby. So if she has reduced to 3 wets I would say you were perceptive in seeing that something is going on. When you see the wets are they really huge?

The rule of thumb is feed the baby, in this situation I would begin trying to pump more often to give her more or consider temporarily supplementing until we figure out whats going on.

A bf baby of this age would still be eating around 8 times a day- possibly more.

Can you tell us more about how pumping is going for you. How often, what type of pump, quantity you normally get- if that has altered recently?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; May 17th, 2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: 30+ not 40 ounces according to kellymom

Could she be quitting bottles early because the milk gets cool? Could she be quitting the breast early because her mouth gets tired? Watch her and look for little clues.

4.5 months seems pretty early to be going that long without wetting. It wasn't til around 11 months-1 year that my son had consistent dry diapers and would hold his pee for longer.

Are you using disposible or cloth dipes? How often are you checking the dipe? How full are the 3 wet diapers?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

So if she has reduced to 3 wets I would say you were perceptive in seeing that something is going on. When you see the wets are they really huge?

No, they arent really huge, they are about normal for a wet diaper for her. She use to wake in the morning with her diaper soaking- sometimes she would pee so much she would pee out of it cuz it was so full. (She was previously sleeping about 7.5-8 hrs straight when this was happenning)

Can you tell us more about how pumping is going for you. How often, what type of pump, quantity you normally get- if that has altered recently?

Pumping is going great- I ususally get about 6-10 oz more than what she will eat every day, so it just goes and is stashed. I have a psi and I am hoping to be able to stop pumping at work after she turns one and still give her ebm for a while. I pump at 5:30 (12-14 oz), 10 (8-9 oz), 12:30 (5oz) 3:30 (4-5) and 8ish (depends on how much she eats-usually 1-2oz) after she eats. The amount that I pump hasnt altered any except for when I have screwed up and not had enough water to drink and I pump about an ounce or so less than normal.

Could she be quitting bottles early because the milk gets cool? Could she be quitting the breast early because her mouth gets tired?

I dont think that she is quitting the bottles early since she eats a good 6 oz at a time. How much should she have in a bottle if it is more than that? She stopped nursing during the day b/c there was too much going on for her to latch on. She would try and look around still latched creating for me, very painful nipples.

Are you using disposible or cloth dipes? How often are you checking the dipe? How full are the 3 wet diapers?

We are using disposible since she goes to dc and they dont take cloth diapered babes- (lo #2 will have coth since I will be a sahm then and am counting down...) I check the diaper when she wakes up from and goes down to her naps so about every 1-2.5 hrs (she is a very sleepy baby and always has been) The wet diapers were not saturated, but they were wet. I would guestimate about 3 tablespoons worth each time?

It has been hot here (in the 100s) the past few days so we have been kicking indoors. The amount that she is eating hasnt changed- just the output. Also, she is a happy little girl. The ped said she would be cranky if there was something wrong.... I am just worried and cant sleep/ or focus. I have a test I need to be studying for right now, and instead I am here worried sick.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

Thats understandable, you are thinking about your baby's welfare!

So the issue is her desire to eat?

Is she showing any signs of teething? Lots of drooling, forced behavior around putting things in her mouth, any lumps cresting on her gum, any mouth blisters? How about any mouth trauma recently?

All the evidence I have read says the maximum for a baby's tummy is 6 ounces. I wouldn't offer more than that. I would see if she is interested in some night nursing- I am the lone wolf who says wake the baby if baby is not getting enough milk . If you are concerned, you could always try a dream feed. Maybe even today during a nap. If you lay her on your bed, and put her near your nipple she will probably latch on. Have you tried this already? What happened?

Ok I will wait for answers now.

You mentioned that it has been over 100 degrees. It has been 110 where I live and my babys diapers have been less wet also. Even if she is only out for a little bit she sweats like crazy. I feed her more often now because of it. Even if she just eats a little but it helps keep her hydrated. Also, I am not an expert but sleeping 11 hours straight without waking and being so sleepy during the day seems unusual to me. I would try feeding more often and see if she gains any energy. I may be completely wrong. Your baby may just be more relaxed than my lo My baby never sleeps for more than 3 hours without eating so I just cannot comprehend such a different behavior.

So the issue is her desire to eat?

Yeah- Im worried that maybe she isnt demanding enough. We have been doing the same thing for the past month and her bottles have each gone up about 1 oz, but she doesnt act hungry or anything when she is awake to let me know that she needs more. She also will just push the bottle out of her mouth when she is finished, and wont take it if she isnt hungry- which is why she only is eating 5 x a day, sometimes 6 if she wakes at night.

Is she showing any signs of teething? Lots of drooling, forced behavior around putting things in her mouth, any lumps cresting on her gum, any mouth blisters? How about any mouth trauma recently?

She has shown signs of teething since she was about 3.5 months, but this past week they have died down. No excessive drooling though she does have enough to blow reasberries- which is just so cute- She doesnt have lumps on her gums, mouth blisters or any trama. Lately she hasnt even been sucking on her thumbs- she just puts her index finger in and chews on it a bit every now and again.

All the evidence I have read says the maximum for a baby's tummy is 6 ounces. I wouldn't offer more than that. I would see if she is interested in some night nursing- I am the lone wolf who says wake the baby if baby is not getting enough milk . If you are concerned, you could always try a dream feed. Maybe even today during a nap. If you lay her on your bed, and put her near your nipple she will probably latch on. Have you tried this already? What happened?

Like I said above, if she isnt interested, she isnt interested. I have tried dreamfeedings but she just shuts her mouth and turns away. She is a stubborn one.

She has been gaining (4 month check up was 12lbs 10 oz and yesterday at the ped she was 13 lbs 8 oz about 3 weeks later)... I just dont know what is going on with her. DH thinks she is fine, my mom cant remember if we ever did anything like this, and my mil, well, she ff all her babies who were all considered underweight for their lenght/height ratio, so yeah....

Thanks for all the help thus far.... I really just need someone(s) to trouble shoot this. Do you think that she could just be sweating out some of the liquid and that would cause the decrease. Its been about 80ish in the house. Comfy enough for me an dh, but could it be too warm for her? She was a little clamy the other day, but not sweaty...
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

Ill try waking her to eat and see what happens... its comforting to know that I am not crazy for thinking that something isnt right. I will keep you posted.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year