Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden rejection - I'm in tears...

Default Sudden rejection - I'm in tears...

My 7.5 month old suddenly refused my breast about 5 days ago except for nursing to sleep at bedtime. He sleeps through the night, but outright refuses me in the morning and throughout the day. Is he weaning??????

I have to express because I feel so full and he takes the EBM in a cup, but he wont even get in position to BF. I assume this is weaning, and I happy my little man is growing up, but I'm so sad about it. We struggled so hard to BF early on, and my goal was 6m.

He may be ready, but I'm not. Now that I have learned so much about BF from this forum, 7.5m seems so soon to wean. Can I reverse this?? Any tricks to get him interested again? (I'm going to try to keep nursing to sleep as long as I can). Thx...

Default Re: Sudden rejection - I'm in tears...

Sounds like your lo is on strike.

Try this link for some ideas
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec92p173.html
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

My LO went through a phase like this about that age. She was just too interested in playing and crawling and rolling around to nurse. She'd scream at the top of her lungs any time that I tried to nurse her during the day. And like your LO, she continued to take EBM and nurse at night. I know you are sad and frustrated. I shed quite a few tears during this phase. All I can say is that for my LO is was a brief phase and she was back to being a good nurser. I found I had to keep trying different places and positions. I found that either side lying and even kneeling over her (her on the bed, me above her on all fours) worked because it gave her the freedom to wiggle around. Sometimes singing to her also worked or giving her a small toy to hold onto. Mostly, I found I just had to take a deep breath, muster up some patience, try a few things, and try not to take her rejection personally. And if she fussed, I would back off and try again later. I made the most out of our bedtime session and also was able to get in a good a.m. session right when she woke up (kept the lights off and nursed before changing her diaper).
    It's tough, but hang in there. It'll get better!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Mine went thru something similar around that age. It only lasted a few days and she happily went back to nursing full time.

She is now almost 13 months old and still going strong
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

Is it teething related? Mine is bottlefed EBM, but his eating habits are really weird now that he has 4 coming in on top. He has never been one to refuse a meal, but does a lot lately.
    Last edited by Lance's Mommy; May 16th, 2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Babies that young don't wean on their own and weaning is almost never sudden like that. Strikes are temporary (and rough on mommas!) Here are some other ideas for a striking baby. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html It takes patience and time, but you can get them back.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

That doesn't sound like weaning, mama. Weaning occurs gradually. This was sudden, and your baby is quite a bit under a year old. As others have mentioned, your baby is likely having a nursing strike. Here's some helpful info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html

Does anything there ring a bell?

Thanks everyone, maybe it is just a strike! I really hope so!!!

It makes sense Phew...