Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Maybe just paranoid...

Question Maybe just paranoid...

My Daughter is now 3wk old. We are doing great at BF which I am so glad about since I had a tough time with my other two. I guess I am getting a bit paranoid or nervous though, she seems like she is eating less but she is still content when she finishes. She also sleeps more when she is through nursing. I am just wondering does the milk get stronger and satisfy more? I think she is getting enough to satisfy, she does not get fussy until gong down at night (but i think she tries to fight sleep).

Also she is a vey unsound sleeper at night but during the day she will sleep sound for 3 to 4 al most hours. I mean unsound she is moving and groaning constanlty and waking every 2 1/2 hours. I still think she is a good baby but just wanted to know if anyone else is having these problems. She does sleep in a bassinet in our room though instead of her crib. She is a very long baby also and maybe out growing the bassinet.

Please give me any comments that would help. Thanks

I am really starting to love BF my LO.

Default Re: Maybe just paranoid...

Hello Momma! It is great that you are enjoying BF - especially at three weeks!

As long as she seems satisfied and her output in diapers is good, then I wouldn't worry about the length of feedings. Babies can be quite efficient with nursing! I think they go through stages - some days they nurse in short amounts and other days they want to nurse all day!

As for the sleeping, I know that my lo sleeps better with background noise. So, at night, I have been leaving the tv or radio on in our bedroom and that seems to help mine sleep better. During the day, when your lo is sleeping more soundly, is there a lot of noise (tv, radio, other kids playing, etc.)? If so, and it is quiet at night, maybe a little noise would help?? I am sure that other moms will have different ideas and hopefully one will work for you.
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Default Re: Maybe just paranoid...

Quote Originally Posted by czechmomma View Post
    she seems like she is eating less but she is still content when she finishes. She also sleeps more when she is through nursing.
    I'm willing to bet she just finished a growth spurt! between 2 and 3 weeks babies tend to have a growth spurt that last a couple of days. She probably nursed longer/more often because of this, and now she is sleeping more which is common after a growth spurt. Also like the pp said, she may be getting more efficient and emptying your breast faster.

she is a vey unsound sleeper at night but during the day she will sleep sound for 3 to 4 al most hours.
    I was told by my doctor to wake my ds every 3 hours during the day (some other doctors suggest every 2 hours), but to feed on demand at night - until my ds was about 6 weeks. This was more to make sure that I had a good supply, but I'm sure it also helped my ds tell the difference between day and night. That may help with the night waking.

I mean unsound she is moving and groaning constanlty and waking every 2 1/2 hours.
    Does she sleep in the bassinet during the day? Or just at night? The moving and groaning could be gas which tends to be worse when babies are laying flat. Does she groan if you let her sleep in a car seat or bouncy chair? If you find that she doesn't move/groan when on an incline position you may want to raise one end of the bassinet up a couple of inches.

I still think she is a good baby but just wanted to know if anyone else is having these problems.
    Sounds like a great baby! And it sounds like you are doing a great job mama!

I am really starting to love BF my LO.
    YAY!!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet