Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Struggling with an allergy

Default Re: Struggling with an allergy

Yes, sometimes his stools are green. I don't know what block feeding is. Can you tell me more?

Block feeding is when you nurse baby only from one breast for a specific "block" of time. For instance, from 12-4 whenever baby wants to nurse you only nurse from the right breast. Then from 4-8 you only nurse from the left breast. And from 8-12, only the right breast and so on and so forth. By nursing in this fashion baby gets more of the richer, fattier hindmilk that often times isn't available until much later in the feed and that baby doesn't usually get to before he's switched to the other breast if mom suffers from oversupply.

If the blood in baby's stools are caused by an oversupply issue then it can take a couple of weeks of block feeding for the blood to clear up while the gut heals itself. You may be dealing with allergies, or oversupply or a combination of things. But you might try the block feeding for a few weeks to see if it helps the situation at all -- it certainly can't hurt to try

HTH!

I do remember reading about that now. I just didn't know it was called that. I can try it and have been worried about him not getting the hind milk. However, here is my problem. He refuses my right breast! The supply in it is drastically smaller now because of this. He will drink from it fro 2-4 minutes if I start on that side and then pulls off, fusses and "bobs" at it. He continues this until I switch to the left. Any suggestions?

Just wanted to chime in - My 1st son was exaclty the same. Bloody stools, screaming, etc. Turns out it was dairy allergy and hind/fore milk issue. I cut out all dairy. Read labels really carefully. Some things will say dairy free but if you look at the kosher label it will say that it has dairy. (I love the kosher labels) :-) I also did block feeding. 3 hours on one side then switch. It fixed everything.
    My second son had the same problems so I tried the same things and it didn't work. I took him to an allergist to be tested because I didn't want to play the guessing game and he was allergic to dairy, soy, eggs and peanut.

Good news is that the first has out grown his allergy and hopefully the second will too.

mommyof1, just wanted to let you know that I wrote you a long response on the allergy post about an EM diet and what I can and can not eat?!? Just wanted to remind you, if you are like me and forget where you have been?!?LOL