Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with an allergy

Unhappy Struggling with an allergy

My son was diagnosed with an allergy to cow's milk at 3 weeks of age. Now, before you all freak out , no I was not feeding him cow's milk from a bottle. He was getting the proteins in my milk and then reacting to them. I was told by his ped "You are going to have to be soo careful" and sent home to find out what careful meant. I researched it and found out as much info as I could. I have dropped all milk proteins from my diet (lost 40 lbs in the process!) and finally found a small amount of foods I can eat. I cannot go out to dinner for fear of getting proteins (tried it twice and we both paid for it for days!). I have been so careful but have managed to get milk in my diet 4 times since early Dec. My son will be 3 months on Sunday. It has been a long, hard road. I have been fighting to continue breast feeding (we have had many other problems as well). Today, after two days of happiness, my son woke up and was not really acting like eating. He had 5 or 6 bowel movements in a row. I told my mother I thought something was wrong and in his next bowel movement there was blood. This, along with fussiness, is our clear cut sign that we have found milk. Here is my problem. I have been so careful for the last 1 1/2 and I cannot figure out where the milk has come from or even if it is milk this time. My ped acts like I am crazy when I bring him in and she can't find anything wrong with him but I don't know what else to do this time but go see her. Does anyone have any advice on allergies or suggestions as to what else this might be? He's up and crying again, so I must go. Any help is appreciated!

Default Re: Struggling with an allergy

What about soy proteins? A lot of babies that are sensitive to milk proteins are also sensitive to soy proteins. I found this out when I eliminated milk from my diet and replaced it with soy, only to find out it caused the same reaction in DS. If you are sure you have eliminated all sources of dairy then you may want to consider eliminating soy and see if that helps your DS.

Good luck!

Are you sure it is an allergy? Not to second guess your doctor, but they have been known to be wrong.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is an allergy. As soon as I got the dairy out of my diet, the blood in his stools stopped and some of his intense screaming stopped. I have accidently gotten some proteins in my diet 3 times since then (it is ridiculously hard to do keep them out!) and I can tell within 24 hours that something is wrong. So, I am fairly certain it is an allergy.

Dear mommyof1,
    Please go to the allergy posts and read about our experience, minus the blood it sounds just like yours! It is too much to type again but pls read it, I would love to help you in anyway, also you need to look at your SOY, CORN, PEANUTS, TREE NUTS, SHELLFISH, BEEF, ANYTHING FROM A COW ECT..Once you get the hang of it it really is not that hard. Let me know what you think about the other posts, they are called Allergies..

Dear Brittan,
    Thank you so much for writing. I checked the other forum (which I had not formerly seen ) and am so encouraged. I have been feeling so defeated. I have bought and thrown out so much food it is unbelievable! I have no idea what I am doing but at least I don't feel alone any more. I want so baddly to make this work that I will try anything. Thank you for your encouragement.

I just wanted to ask -- are you certain that you aren't dealing w/ an oversupply issue?

What do you mean? I don't know...maybe. My supply is outrageous. I can feed my son and still pump 3-5 oz sometimes. But would oversupply cause blood in his stool?

Yes, absolutely oversupply can cause blood in the stool.

Are his stools green? Have you tried block feeding at all? If so, what results have you seen?

Just wanted to add this:

Many of these are NOT approved LLL sources but some of them are (Leaven & New Beginnings) on oversupply and resolving it: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fa...own.html#links