Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush

Default Thrush

Aside from my previous posted question, I wanted to know if any of you have experience treating/ridding your new baby of thrush?
    My 8 week old has had thrush for a while now--several weeks. We've been treating her with an Rx of Nystatin from the pediatrician since April 18th--I give her 1/4 ml 4 times a day and put drops on my nipples a few times a day along with wiping her tongue with sterile gauze after feedings. The tip of her tongue was back to pink (no white from the thrush anymore) in a matter of a few days after beginning treatment, but the back of her tonuge is still white and the white spot on the roof of her mouth is there. I try to be vigilant with this treatment, but baby is a VERY STRONG nurser and eats often and often spits up because she is getting so much milk. This doesn't really allow the Nystatin to stay in her mouth for very long and I fear the thrush will linger for some time. We go back the the pediatrician on Wednesday and I'm afraid he'll be displeased with me to see she still has thrush. I just don't want him to prescribe her anything stronger because I don't want to give her any harsh medicines.
    Can anyone help?

Default Re: Thrush

I don't have time to write out a long response at the moment, but I used gentian violet to great success. You can google it and get some good ideas of how to use it or do a search here of thrush and there are some threads with lots of ideas on getting rid of thrush. Make sure you are treating your environment along with yourself and baby- wash laundry in hot water with vinegar added, frequently wash anything that touches your nipples, milk, baby's mouth, baby's bottom. Only wear bras once, sterilize all bottle, pump or pacifier parts everyday...

that's all I can think of at the moment, hope that helps. definitely search the threads, there are a lot of great ideas on here.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Thrush

Thank you Norasmommy, I will try to search the threads!