Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scheduling/Feeding/Sleeping???

Default Re: Scheduling/Feeding/Sleeping???

About spitting up at night, DS used to do it all the time and it just went rolling right out his mouth (and down his cheek and behind his ear. Gross, I know.) Not that you shouldn't still keep them close, that's the the AAP recommends and it's good for lots of reasons; I just wanted to share our experience with nighttime spit-up and no choking.

when a book makes you question your mommy instinct - it's time to throw away the book
    And, I totally, completely agree with this. If it's not broke, don't fix it...
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

when i start questioning our lack of schedules both when my son was tiny and now,
    i think about how much my own needs change from day to day,
    and i'm not growing or changing at nearly the rate a tiny babe is.

follow that mama gutt!

you cant follow everything you read/hear. remember every baby i different. a mama on here recommended the book "the no cry sleep solution" and my mom purchased it for me for mothers day as well as "the happiest baby on the block" dvd. i started rdg the book today and its awesome so far...puts a lot into perspective. ill be watching my dvd tomorrow. anyone read/watched either of these? any thoughts?

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**

I have "The Happiest Toddler on The Block" book, and it's great.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies!! I really appreciate the advice and support--it's really been helpful to read!!!! Hopefully my daughter and I will develop our own sort of schedule soon enough!

What are your thoughts on sharing a bed with baby? (or perhaps I should start a new thread for this). I like that nursing laying down at night lets both baby and I sleep more. But I don't like that my husband has to sleep in the living room (although "his chair" does help his back and keep him from snoring!). She has a beautiful crib, but I just can't bring myself to put her in it for fear of anything happening. If she wakes up to spit up/coughing/choking, she's right there all I have to do is pick her up and pat her back, but I'd hate that to happen in another room and not even hear it!

What are your thoughts on sharing a bed with baby? (or perhaps I should start a new thread for this). I like that nursing laying down at night lets both baby and I sleep more. But I don't like that my husband has to sleep in the living room (although "his chair" does help his back and keep him from snoring!). She has a beautiful crib, but I just can't bring myself to put her in it for fear of anything happening. If she wakes up to spit up/coughing/choking, she's right there all I have to do is pick her up and pat her back, but I'd hate that to happen in another room and not even hear it!
    We've had Anna (now 8 months) in our bed since birth. We have a king size bed and it works out well. I find it much easier than the crib. So far I've used my crib to put her while I take a shower, change her, or store clothes I never get around to folding. I may eventually move her to the crib (but put it in our room) or as a converted toddler bed, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by c218 View Post
    Wow, thank you all so much for your replies!! I really appreciate the advice and support--it's really been helpful to read!!!! Hopefully my daughter and I will develop our own sort of schedule soon enough!

. You could also consider having the crib beside your bed in your room. That way you can have her close by and not worry about any issues if she's still at arms length, or you can sleep with with her beside you when needed. I found that worked really well for me-I loved sleeping with her sometimes and when it was the only way either of us were getting any sleep, and other times it gave me peace of mind, but the ability to get a better sleep when my back was tweeked. Every night was varying amounts of time in the bed or crib. HTH

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Smile Re: Scheduling/Feeding/Sleeping???

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    LLL's thoughts on why a schedule and a new baby don't mix well: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug03p126.html
    Thank you for that link! The article affirms the validity.importance of my originial stance of demand feeding.

I agree with everyone else. Listen to your baby, listen to your own mothering instict. I also agree that if a book makes you feel like a bad parent, it might just be a good idea to throw it in the garbage.

And if you need further reason to question the methods of "Babywise", here is a site that you might find interesting:
    http://www.ezzo.info/babywise.htm

As for co-sleeping, if it's working for you and you're doing it with the safey guidelines in mind, no need to change! Many mothers find that co-sleeping is an effective way to nighttime parent, while allowing the whole family to rest more soundly. Have you considered using your crib as a side car? That way, baby could sleep in her own sleep space, but still be close to you. This would also leave plenty of room for Dad to rejoin you in the bedroom. Here's some info on co-sleeping:
    http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/faq.html
    And on side-carring a crib:
    http://groups.msn.com/SteveandLishsF...decarcrib.msnw
    http://www.littlewatkins.com/info-sidecar-crib.html

HTH!

that book is EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. Throw it away!!! My mom is a nurse and she actually had babies come into the hospital dehydrated because of that book.