Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scheduling/Feeding/Sleeping???

Red face Scheduling/Feeding/Sleeping???

My baby girl will be 9 weeks old on Tuesday. I've been feeding her on demand thus far, but read a book (Babywise on Sleeping) yesterday which made me question that and actually really stressed me out. It said I should have had her on a schedule from day one following this pattern: feed/wake/sleep. Recently I began nursing her lying down at night because it's the only way either of us seem to sleep well at night. I'm wondering now that she's a little older if I shouldn't try scheduling and getting her to sleep in her crib, although she's such a STRONG nurser, she most often gets more milk than she needs. She doesn't spit up much at night because we go right back to sleep, but I fear that she may choke if she does spit up and I don't want her to be in a separate room for fear of that. After stressing out over that book, the one thing I did vow to do was to make sure she gets a full feeding on both sides during every feeding (except at night), which should eventually lead to feedings at more regular intervals than the demand feedings, right? I wonder what thoughts anyone can give me on this! Thank you kindly!

Default Re: Scheduling/Feeding/Sleeping???

do what you think's best and what works for your baby. that's my advise.

don't let books stress you out. here is my advice: throw the book away, and listen to your baby/follow your instinct. Your LO is still so young. She will have growth spurts and want to nurse every hour. Then the next day she may sleep alot and not want to eat. You just never know. She will eat when she is hungry, and sleep when she is tired. I just think she is still so little. You could try to start some gentle routines that revolve around sleep, and make note of her patterns, to help ease her into somewhat of a routine. However, IMO wouldn't try to adhere to any schedules or schedule feeds. Babies eat when they are hungry, and stop when they are full. They are learning to listen to their body and their hunger signals. Try to relax and enjoy the early months!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

The only sleep books I read before LO was born were Babywise and The No Cry Sleep Solution. I wish I had never read Babywise because it just stressed me out and in my opinion is a really bad book. From the time he was two weeks old, it was obvious to me that my baby could never be put on such a schedule. It was almost laughable to me to think that my baby could conform to what the book professes as rock-solid advice. The only way to make that happen would have been to let him cry it out which we were not going to do. I don't know how anyone can say that book saved their life - I feel like it could have ruined mine if I had really tried to follow what it said. THROW IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

I read babywise before my first daughter was born. I tried to schedule her from day 1 and it lasted about 1 day!!! She did whatever she wanted when she wanted. Around 6 months I realized that she was on a schedule! And she did it herself! No stress! Forget about the book and do whatever works for you. Kids are very resilient... you can't break 'em or do it wrong! It will work out!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

when a book makes you question your mommy instinct - it's time to throw away the book
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by sch.mommy View Post
    when a book makes you question your mommy instinct - it's time to throw away the book
    EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

I agree 100% with the others. My cousin read that book and was telling me about it just the other day...I laughed out loud at the thought of it. We go with the flow with my 6 week old, whatever it takes so she is not crying and/or uncomfortable. I have tried to feed her early, i.e., when I had something to do and wanted her to adhere to my plans and it just doesn't work. I get frustrated and crabby and she gets frustrated and crabby! These early weeks are hard enough, do what works and try to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by c218 View Post
    My baby girl will be 9 weeks old on Tuesday. I've been feeding her on demand thus far, but read a book (Babywise on Sleeping) yesterday which made me question that and actually really stressed me out. It said I should have had her on a schedule from day one following this pattern: feed/wake/sleep. Recently I began nursing her lying down at night because it's the only way either of us seem to sleep well at night. I'm wondering now that she's a little older if I shouldn't try scheduling and getting her to sleep in her crib, although she's such a STRONG nurser, she most often gets more milk than she needs. She doesn't spit up much at night because we go right back to sleep, but I fear that she may choke if she does spit up and I don't want her to be in a separate room for fear of that. After stressing out over that book, the one thing I did vow to do was to make sure she gets a full feeding on both sides during every feeding (except at night), which should eventually lead to feedings at more regular intervals than the demand feedings, right? I wonder what thoughts anyone can give me on this! Thank you kindly!
    Toss that book for sure!! I read that while pregnant and then I had my lo and realized the advice given in that book is crazy escpecially the feeding sch - MY lo is 11 m old and is just now going 3 hours between feedings during the day ( she sleeps all night without nursing).
    The authors of that book are nuts. Its much more normal for a baby to wake/feed/sleep as nursing makes babies sleepy!!! There is nothing wrong with a flexible routine for napping but BF works best when its done on demand- Also remember babies nurse for reasons other than hunger and that breastmilk takes only 90 min to be fully digested!!!!
    Parent the way you want to - not according some book written by some random guy. If you want to read parenting books read Dr. Sears or any of the LLL stuff. Its more the attachment parenting style. Babies need their needs met right away- thats how they build trust- Follow your lo's cues and Toss that book out!!!!
    FYI when that book first came out there were lots of babies with failure to thrive/ because parents were following the feeding sch to rigidly!!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by excited2bemama View Post
    FYI when that book first came out there were lots of babies with failure to thrive/ because parents were following the feeding sch to rigidly!!!
    I remember reading about that somewhere. So sad. Our culture is all about training the baby to make life "easier" for us. Problem is, it backfires and makes life harder for everyone.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

LLL's thoughts on why a schedule and a new baby don't mix well: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug03p126.html