Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a reason why I shouldn't eat peanut butter?

Default Re: Is there a reason why I shouldn't eat peanut butter?

Quote Originally Posted by sch.mommy View Post
    It may be a silly question . . . .

but I was in the supermarket today with ds2 and picked up a gigantic jar of peanut butter (dh, ds1, and I love it). When I was getting checked in, the lady at the cash picked up the peanut butter and said "that's the best thing about not breastfeeding - you can eat what you want." and she gave me a big smile. I was annoyed at her assumption and said "actually I am breastfeeding" and gave her a big smile back. When I got out in the car I started thinking about it and wondered if I wasn't supposed to be eating peanut butter. Anyone know? Or was this person just full of poo

ETA: maybe this should be in the allergy section
    What I've been told is to avoid peanut butter and other nuts/nut products ONLY IF there is a family history of nut allergies. Otherwise, you can pretty much eat whatever you want while nursing. ~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

wait... why would wic give peanut butter then?

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    I eat it.
    I do to.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Our midwife recommended limiting non-organic peanuts and peanut butter because it is one of the highest chemical and pesticide and GMO foods.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by lesdrunk View Post
    Because its one of the cheaper forms of protien out there. Especially now with the rising cost of eggs. If there is a history of allergies in the family you might be able to get them to change it to something else.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

Hi, I concur with post #5's guidelines and follow them myself but did just read a journal article with the 2008 guidelines from the american academy of pediatrics: the bottom line is that "the evidence is NOT there that pregnant and lactating women restricting their diet in any way affects whether their baby gets allergic disease."

So eating peanut butter while pregnant or nursing does not CAUSE peanut allergy however peanut protein can be found in breast milk so it may be a first exposure for a baby born with allergy. You may not see an allergic response from the 1st exposure because that's the one that sort of primes the immune system. On subsequent exposures the body says hey I don't like this protein and has a histamine reaction to it.

My first born has peanut allergy. Ironically I abstained from peanuts/butter while nursing him (14 mo.s) and while pregnant. I was unprepared for this allergy since I thought it would never happen to me/my kid (just like my two breech babies, 2 C-sections, and miscarriage).

I am a healthcare professional and hubby is a doctor so we have read a lot of the literature on this topic.
    2005 2008

Everything reliable that I have read and heard says that unless you notice a reaction to a food, or if someone in the family is allergic, there is no reason to restrict your diet at all while BF.

I eat peanut butter, and TONS of nuts.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

I eat it all the time. I am a vegetarian and its a good source of protein. There aren't any food allergies in my family, though.

There is definitely a predisposition genetically to allergies/asthma/immune issues. My sister's children have severe food allergies, and no one in our family had food allergies, but did have asthma and environmental allergies (bees, pollen, hayfever, etc.). She was a vegetarian with her first pregnancy, ate tons of peanuts and sesame, and her child is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, wheat, milk, and sesame. She changed her diet with her second, and she was allergic to eggs and milk only. I do think there is a link between BF while eating things and an allergy, simply because food allergies, unlike environmental alllergies, develop with repeated exposures, so the idea is that by BF those proteins, you are exposing your baby to the food over and over. It's ONLY if there is a predisposition though. I avoided them simply because of our family history, and because my niece visits often and is so sensitive to nuts I can't have them in the house. BUT I ate tons of dairy and now my son is lactose intolerant...a relative of allergies. I say follow what your doctors say, but I find my own DD is very sensitive to what I eat even now...I'm very low on dairy and soy intake because her belly can't take it!

My sister was part of a research study with her third baby still going at Cincinnati Children's hospital studying families with allergies and specifically whether breastfed babies get allergies. She avoided the foods simply due to her household and sensitivities, and her DD, now 3 y.o., does not have any allergies.

I think what it comes down to is they are still studying the relationship. Medicine is always changing, and you can only follow the current guidelines for what is ok and not. A few years ago it was ok to put plastic in the dishwasher, eat deli meat, and many years ago it was ok to drink alcohol. I guess my point is, follow your gut!!! We all trust you!!!

The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Nextwork is a great resource my sister has used repeatedly through the years. The website is foodallergy.org

Quote Originally Posted by lesdrunk View Post
    It's cheap. But I only get to buy 18 oz/mo I love peanut butter and that small jar only lasts about two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Our midwife recommended limiting non-organic peanuts and peanut butter because it is one of the highest chemical and pesticide and GMO foods.
    WIC doesn't allow organic peanut butter, unfortunately. I think organic tastes better. But they do allow the all natural varieties that don't have added salt or sugar which is better than nothing. I still buy some of the organic stuff on my own dime for my husband and for me after my WIC jar runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by swanny View Post
    Because its one of the cheaper forms of protien out there. Especially now with the rising cost of eggs. If there is a history of allergies in the family you might be able to get them to change it to something else.
    At least in Colorado, there isn't an alternative to peanut butter. If you have peanut allergies, they take peanut butter off and give you more eggs or dairy, or legumes. I think they're leaning towards the legumes (dried beans/peas/lentils) right now. Those are still insanely cheap. The system really is not set up for families that have allergies!

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.