Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a reason why I shouldn't eat peanut butter?

Default Re: Is there a reason why I shouldn't eat peanut butter?

I ate it constantly during the pregnancy (one of my easy ways to get protein since I hate eggs and don't really care for meat during the day) and was eating it for the first four months of breastfeeding. I just recently started cutting it out because DD was showing signs of a milk allergy so I thought, oh well, I'll just cut out PB too.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    I eat it.
    So do I.
    We don't have any history of allergies whatsoever.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Deebie View Post
    My OB told me it was OK to eat peanut butter while pregnant because all the food gets broken down to its most basic components for the fetus (protein, fat, carbohydrate). It's when you're breastfeeding that the allergenic properties get passed along to the baby.
    I think what causes the allergic reaction in peanuts is the protein in it so even when it is broken down to its components, the protein passes the placenta and reaches the fetus. One study in Europe showed that if the mother eats peanuts during pregnancy, the baby's chance of developing a peanut allergy is 20%. It is very similar with BF. The proteins get into BM.

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I ate PB while I was pregnate and I still do now. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said as long as they is no history of peanut allergy in the family it should be fine.

i have eaten 2 pb&j sandwiches today
    when i had GD pb was one of the recommended proteins.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I think I'm more confused now than I was yesterday
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

maybe this web site would help it talks about how food allergies and senitivites work:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=30

we didn't mean to worry you!

Quote Originally Posted by Clare's Mum View Post
    I ate PB while I was pregnate and I still do now. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said as long as they is no history of peanut allergy in the family it should be fine.
    I was told the exact same thing by my doc, that it was okay in moderation if I didn't have peanut allergies in my family. I always made sure I brushed my teeth and washed my hands and face after eating it so I woulding pass it to my LO through kissing ect. But other then that I had it once in a while, maybe once a month or so. I even ate granola bars with peanuts in it. I just didn't go crazy.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

I had no idea about the PB thing. Most every morning I have an apple with some PB and a bowl of cereal. Matter of fact I am eating it right now.
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

I avoid pb but my dh is allergic to pb as well as a long list of other foods (weat, barley, corn, peanuts, tomatos... i could go on) and I have a few myself. So I eat what I feel like is next to nothing b/c i think life in the long run will be easier if I am careful now. I dont think that I would be as concerned if there werent as many allergies in our family.

FYI any type of allergies food or otherwise can lead to a food allergy in your lo, so even if you are just allergic to something like grass, your lo could end up being allergic to something like pb. It something like 25% chance they will have allergies if you or dh have allergies and a 40% chance if you both do.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year