Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a reason why I shouldn't eat peanut butter?

Default Is there a reason why I shouldn't eat peanut butter?

It may be a silly question . . . .

but I was in the supermarket today with ds2 and picked up a gigantic jar of peanut butter (dh, ds1, and I love it). When I was getting checked in, the lady at the cash picked up the peanut butter and said "that's the best thing about not breastfeeding - you can eat what you want." and she gave me a big smile. I was annoyed at her assumption and said "actually I am breastfeeding" and gave her a big smile back. When I got out in the car I started thinking about it and wondered if I wasn't supposed to be eating peanut butter. Anyone know? Or was this person just full of poo

ETA: maybe this should be in the allergy section
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Is there a reason why I shouldn't eat peanut butter?

My understanding is that you should avoid peanut products while you're breastfeeding. Our ped actually said to avoid all nut products, which I'm straining to do. It's for allergy reasons. I ate a lot of peanut butter while pregnant and I never heard that that was bad. But I've heard many people say to avoid peanuts while BFing.

The only thing I have heard about not eating peanut butter while bfing is in the case of yeast infections (thrush). It is listed among other things like sugar, milk, yeast, grapes, etc. that you shouldn't eat if you have the infection. Other than that, I don't know why you shouldn't eat PB. I am curious to see if any other mom's out there know other reasons.....I love PB too! Unfortunately, we have been battling thrush so I have had to avoid it lately.
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Quote Originally Posted by emama View Post
    My understanding is that you should avoid peanut products while you're breastfeeding. Our ped actually said to avoid all nut products, which I'm straining to do. It's for allergy reasons. I ate a lot of peanut butter while pregnant and I never heard that that was bad. But I've heard many people say to avoid peanuts while BFing.
    oh.

is that for everyone? or for people with peanut allergies in the family?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...s.html#peanuts
    from that link:
    Allergies to peanuts affect around 1% of the population. One out of four allergic individuals has severe allergy, with severe respiratory or gastrointestinal symptoms. Avoiding peanuts and peanut products during the third trimester of pregnancy and during lactation has been recommended, particularly if your baby is at risk for food allergies.

Seriously consider avoiding peanuts and peanut products during lactation if:

Any immediate family members (mom, dad, brothers, sisters) have a history of food allergy, asthma or eczema.
    Any relative has a history of peanut allergy.
    Your baby has asthma, eczema or food allergies.
    Babies who are allergic to eggs and have eczema appear to be particularly at risk.
    If no one in your family (including baby, of course) has a history of food allergies, asthma or eczema, you're probably fine eating peanuts yourself, but you can also play it safe and avoid them.

Allergists recommend that children don't get peanuts or peanut products until at least 36 months old. Since peanut allergy is usually a lifelong and life-threatening allergy and peanuts are not essential to the diet, it's never a bad idea to play it safe.

More information:
    Peanut Allergy and Breastfeeding from the Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition

Peanuts, Folic Acid and Peanut Allergies from the March of Dimes

Some Moms Should Avoid Peanut Products While Nursing (news story from

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    If no one in your family (including baby, of course) has a history of food allergies, asthma or eczema, you're probably fine eating peanuts yourself, but you can also play it safe and avoid them.

Allergists recommend that children don't get peanuts or peanut products until at least 36 months old. Since peanut allergy is usually a lifelong and life-threatening allergy and peanuts are not essential to the diet, it's never a bad idea to play it safe.
    There are no allergies in our family (ds1 is allergic to grass and dust, but no food allergies). I knew that babies couldn't have peanuts until they were older but it never occured to me that I couldn't eat them while I was breastfeeding.

well, shoot!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

I eat it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I did too...

we don't have any food allergies..
    dd was senstive to milk for the 1st two years but she could eat yougart and cheese after about 1 and 1/2 years old.

I ate it when I was pregnant and I am eating it while I breastfeed! I love it too much and I give up a lot of other things (cold cuts, fake sugar items like diet coke and sugarless gum, etc. during my pregnacy) That I dont want to totally be miserable the whole 9 months but also WE have NO alergies of it in both sides of the family...if we did that would be a different story!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

My OB told me it was OK to eat peanut butter while pregnant because all the food gets broken down to its most basic components for the fetus (protein, fat, carbohydrate). It's when you're breastfeeding that the allergenic properties get passed along to the baby. Of course, now that I'm trying not to eat it is when I crave it! I'll probably go on a PB binge when I stop nursing.
    at work morning and night

Ecstatic mom to Elena born 10/12/07