Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pumping for a preemie, is 12oz/day still low?

Default pumping for a preemie, is 12oz/day still low?

Hi guys,
    Well, my baby is 9 weeks old and hasn't started nipple feeding. I just got to hold him for the first time two weeks ago. I started out with really low supply, 1 to 2oz a day. With all the tricks, herbs, and drugs I am up to 12-13 oz a day. At 9 weeks is this still too low to eventually exclusively breast feed? My baby will need to learn to latch and suck so I have lots of challenges ahead of me. With power pumping a couple of times a day (takes an hour) and kangarooing 3 hours a day I am only able to pump 8X a day. Any thoughts, suggestions or encouragement? I am exited that I haven't had a drop in supply and that I have been able to increase it so much. BUT 12oz a day is not "copious milk supply" is it?

Default Re: pumping for a preemie, is 12oz/day still low?

It's not unheard of for milk production to keep increasing as baby is able to come to the breast more frequently. It's wonderful news that you've been able to increase from 2 oz to 13 oz per day!

Have you seen this video? You might find the info helpful:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

You're doing GREAT! And it's fantastic to hear that you're able to have skin to skin contact now. Have you considered pumping (even one side at a time) while kangarooing? You would need help to get yourself situated, of course, but I can't imagine any nurse turning down such a request.

Do you have local support? IBCLC? LLL Leader?

Congratulations on your baby! Great to hear that you started kangarooing him two weeks ago

I used to get somewhere between 13-17 oz/day for my 25 weeker, and that was enough in terms of filling her up with expressed breastmilk. Having said so, when my supply went down to close to 12-13 oz/day, my baby started to refuse to nurse, because it was too much work for her to draw breastmilk from me, instead of drinking EBM from the bottle. I used to use herbs, power-pumping (which really helped), and finally a drug (reglan) at the end (right before her discharge, which was very stressful to me - 3 1/2 month after she was born), to increase my milk production enough until a couple of weeks after baby came home. At that point, things started to click and my baby was able to maintain/increase my milk production. I worked with IBLCLs throughout the process - my NICU IBLCL was my pace maker, which I am very grateful.

It was a long process, but completely and full-heartedly worth it. We now nurse exclusively.

Maybe you can continue what is working for you right now (which is very impressive) to maintain until when your baby starts un-nutritive sucking, then kick it up the nutch to increase your milk production? What does your NICU LC think about this idea?

and looking forward to your update!
    Last edited by wakawaka; May 17th, 2008 at 10:22 AM.
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

Thanks for the responses...we started non-nutritive sucking yesterday. It went really well. I will see if I get an increase in my supply. I am worried that it may be too much work for him if I have low supply...so you think if I get my supply closer to 17oz a day, it may help a lot? I am not sure if I can do that...but I can try. Anyones supply increase this late in the game?

Hi Charliemom congratulations for your arrival!!!! ...... Dont worry if tomorrow she will need more milk every baby is deferent.... I have a premmie also, well she is 11 month old already, but I was on your shoes once... all I can say is dont over stress your self, you have already a lot on your plate.... put her on your breast as often as you can and the NICU allow you..... practice power pump and/or pump as many times as possibe .... I heard that for you to increase your supply you will need to pump from 10 - 13x per day.... your breast will make more milk as you empty them.... trust that!!!..... your breast will make as much milk as your baby need... the rule is the more you empty your breast the more milk your will produce.... I was told to pump evey 2 hours for 20 min.... Good Luck..... remember that we are here for anything you need....

kelly moms has a great link on how to pump when a baby isn't nursing:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

First of all congrats! You have already endured more than most of us. 12 days in the hospital was the hardest thing I have ever done. Do not stress about your milk supply it will only make things worse. Your lo suckling will increase your milk supply more than the pump. While my lo was in the hospital I feed her ever 3 hours and pumped directly after every feeding. It is exausting but it definaltely helped. My LC recommending the pumping directly after feeding because your lo suckling has stimulated your body and the pump will tell your body that your lo is still eating without your lo using up more energy than they are getting from nursing.

Sick with it be patient and you will suceed.
    *leslie*
    Proud mama of Aubrey Anna; BF since 1/22/2008
    born 6 weeks early weighed 4lbs 6oz, got down to 4lb even.
    2 weeks 4lbs 4oz
    1 month 5lbs 12oz
    2 months 8 lbs 6oz
    4 months 12lbs 6 oz

"jersey cow" attached to my pump for the first month since she was in the hospital so long. (that was worse than anything my daughter can do to me)

BF goals: 1 month, 2 months, 3 months (back to work), 4 months, 5 months, 6 months, and where ever we end up

to update: I have been so tired and stressed lately! I am getting up twice every night to pump and have been waking up about an hour after my 4:00 am pumping and can't go back to sleep. I am battling constant nipple yeast infections and my little one is regressing. He is slowly learning to bottle-feed. His latch was okay at first and now he opens his mouth hardly at all We have introduced a nipple shield, we will see how that goes. He sucks for a little while and then bradys (his heart rate drops) he hasn't mastered suck/swallow/breathe. I am going to stick it out another week and then decide whether to continue. We have been in the NICU 101 days today. I am so worn out!!
    Thanks for letting me vent...

i just wanted to say that you are doing a great job!!! i hated pumping too and got to the point where i cried when it was time to get the darn thing out! but you are doing the best you can for your lo! i know it has been a long time, but soon your lo will be home and in your arms! my lo was also a preemie and we used the nipple shield for three months, so if that is what you need to do, go for it!! and even if that doesnt work, you're still doing a great job!!! keep it up momma!!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

101 days is a very long time. Hang in there mama!
    2005 2008