Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore Breast

Default Sore Breast

BF has been going great, we made it to 3 months already. Yesterday morning I woke up with a sore breast! The right side of my right breast is pretty tender and painful. It almost feels as if it is engorged or something. Could this be a plugged duct? What can I do to lessen the pain/take the pain away completely? I've been feeding DD on this side more than the other side and taking hot showers and massaging the sore spot. The skin is a little bit pink where it hurts, not quite red. Help! This sucks!
    ~Jaime~
    AP Mommy of
    Madison Anne
    February 8th, 2008

Exclusively since Day 1!

We love , and cloth diapering! !

Default Re: Sore Breast

First of all, good job on making it this far!!
    It sounds like a plugged duct to me - at least what I experience with one. (Other moms may have other ideas on what it might be) However, if it is a plugged duct, what worked for me was to drink lots (and I mean LOTS) of water, to pump after nursing to make sure the breast is emptied, and to get lots of rest. Usually I was able to fix it in a day or two. If it is bright red with a fever, you may want to call your DR because it could be an infection. Plugged ducts are painful! I am so sorry that you are feeling this pain! I hope that it clears up soon! Hang in There!
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

sounds like a clogged duct to me as well...ouch! massage the sore area while you bf lo, warm compress for 15 min prior to bf, pump after to make sure both sides are empty, cold compress for 15 after pumping, contine to massage while taking warm showers, drink LOTS of water. bf lo on the sore side is the most effective thing. you can take tylenol for the pain. you can also submerge breast in warm water...lean over a bowl. now, the minute you start to get flu symptoms, a fever, reddness on breast, pain worsens, CALL YOUR DR ASAP! the clogged duct may have turned into an infection called mastitis. not fun. i just cleared up my infection last week and it took a week...longest week of my life. HTH & GL! feed feed feed drink drink drink rest rest rest!

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**

I vote clog also....
    hows your nipple fealing?
    sometimes a milk blister will cause a clog.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

it sounds like your doing all the right things.
    Heat massage, lots of nursing.
    ITs ok to to take what ever your doctor says it ok for pain.