Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very sore, bleeding nipples

Exclamation Very sore, bleeding nipples

My DD is 8 weeks old now and I've always had issues with her latch. Most of the time she has a shallow latch, but has always had good poopies and wet diapers, she is also putting weight on good. I've always had a OAL so she only nurses for about 10-15 minutes on one side. She is sleeping through the night now, but yesterday I noticed my nipples were getting sore and this morning when I woke up my nipples were bleeding plus they seem to be staying erect. Not sure what to do about this except I did not nurse this morning. I pumped and gave her a bottle. Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated. I'd really like to not have to give her too many bottles.
    Mommy of 3, newest DD, Jordyn, born 3-19-08

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs

Default Re: Very sore, bleeding nipples

poor thing cracks and bleeding hurt
    what are you putting on them?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

I have some Lanolin, that's all so far. Anything better to put on em??

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs

express a little breast milk and rub over the nipple area and let it air dry. It helps with the healing.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I've also had problems with sore nipples and a LC at the hospital I gave birth at told me about these nipple patches called "Soothies". I bought mine at Walgreens and they have saved my nipples and has given me the ability to continue breastfeeding when I might have quit because I hurt so bad. I hope you give these a try because they really work!!

Way to go with the breastfeeding! You are doing awesome mom!!

Unhappy Re: Very sore, bleeding nipples

Ok so at least the soreness is gone but they are still bleeding. My supply is now gotten low again cuz I haven't pumped as often as I should have b/c of soreness and the last bottle I pumped was PINK!!! I'm extremely frustrated, upset, worried...I have no extra milk and I really don't want to give her formula, but I'm not sure I have any other choice. Guess I know what I need to do, guess I'm just looking for reassurance. I do have an appointment set for tomorrow with the LC... I just feel like I'm letting my daughter down

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs

Blood in your milk will not hurt your baby! It only takes a tiny amount of blood to tint your milk a shocking pink color. If the idea of feeding your baby bloody milk is too freaky for you, you can try leaving the pumped milk in the fridge overnight. The blood may separate out and sink to the bottom of the bootle, allowing you to pour off the clear fraction.

Hang in there, and good luck with the LC! I had extremely sore, cracked, bloody nipples for a long time, so long that I decided I would never heal until my daughter weaned, which I was determined would be at 1 year exactly. Well, time went on, my baby grew and her mouth grew, and she was able to latch on more deeply. The cracks went away, and 2 years on she's still nursing. If you can stick with it, things will get better for you, too.

you are not letting your dd down. don't give up!

I used lansinoh after every bf.
    Then I also exposed my breasts after every bf to sort of air them out. In fact, I walked around bra less most of the time. If I'm just in the bedroom, I don't wear a shirt. (Even my shirt touching my nipples were very painful that time)
    I used these myself:
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/3bpdf.pdf

and found these helpful:
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml
    http://www.bflrc.com/newman/articles.htm

i soothies too! theyve saved my nipples. my nipples are still sore and super sensitive (my LO is 7 weeks) but we find a way to keep going. youre doing great! GL with the LC!

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**

Thumbs up Re: Very sore, bleeding nipples

Hello everyone! This is my first post.
    My daughter, born April 30th, is latching on great and my milk supply is very good but I have mostly been pumping because I am so incredible sore -- only when I breastfeed. It was not like this with my first daughter. I spoke with someone at La Leche and a lactation consultant at my hospital and they both think I have thrush (though my LO has no signs). They told me to get Dr. Newmans APNO cream (All Purpose Nipple Ointment). You will need a prescription for this. I spoke to a friend this morning who also had exactly the same symptoms -- bright red sore nipples and burning pain when breastfeeding -- and she used APNO and the horrible pain resolved itself within 2 days.

I tried everything else so I am anxious to get my script today and give it a go. It can't hurt to try!

Meghan