Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: High pallet?

Default High pallet?

Ok so I went to the LC today and she told me that my LO had a high pallet. Which is what is most likely causing the clicking and poor latch. Also why my supply is getting low, because she is not getting an effective feeding. Also, the reason for the bleeding, sore nipples is a combination of things. She thinks it may be thrush. Not positive though, b/c LO does not have any signs of it...but my nipples are showing signs of it; plus the poor latch. HMM... She gave me a smaller nipple shield, plus I'm renting an Ameda pump from her, since I was only using an Avent Isis. So, I guess I'm really looking for any suggestions from anyone who has maybe had a LO with a high pallet on latch issues...I hope this all makes sense, I'm just so flustered!!
    Mommy of 3, newest DD, Jordyn, born 3-19-08

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs

Default Re: High pallet?

Oh I forgot to add:

She is 2 months today, wet and poopie diapers have been good and overall temperment has been great! Also, putting weight on steadily.

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs

Your situation sounds the same as mine (I had posted a thread about high palates a few weeks ago )! I started out with sore, cracked, and bleeding nipples - that led to plugged ducts - that led to thrush (in me not my lo) - SO MUCH PAIN!! Finally, I was treated for the thrush and was feeling better so I located a LC that had dealt with high palates and knew a special way to latch with them. I met with her last week. (sadly - she noticed that now my lo has thrush so we are going through that battle again - but I digress ) Anyway - I will share with you what she shared with me - but I would also call around and see if you can find a LC that has dealt with high palates. Seeing the technique will be so much better than trying to figure it out from text.

The technique the LC showed me was this (I hope that I can describe it clearly!)
    1. Place your thumb and first finger on your breast - your thumb should be on the outer edge of the areola and lined up with the nose of your baby. Your first finger should also be on the outers edge of the areola but where the chin of the baby is.
    2. Pull slightly with your thumb so that your nipple is pointing to the lo's nose.
    3. As your LO opens her mouth and begins to latch on, push downward with your thumb and slightly pull with your finger so that your nipple points down your lo's throat. (She called it the "flip latch" because you basically flip the nipple into their mouth.) Also, it is very important to get as much of the breast into their mouth as possible (like with alll latches).

I had to practice a lot (still am) because I have to "flip" fast because my little guy latches on so quickly! I have noticed some improvements with this latch though!

One more thing that the LC shared with me - usually by 8 weeks, babies mouths are big enough that the high palate is no longer a problem. So, I thought, if nothing else, I can hang on until then! (Only a week and a half to go! ) Hopefully for you, this means that you are close to that point!

I hope that you find a latch that works for you and that you are able to alleviate your pain and enjoy bfing!!
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Thanks for the great tip. Right now I'm having to pump the majority of the time, due to the condition my nipples are in, but on the few times I've been putting her on, it does seem to make a difference. She's already 8 weeks, will be 9 weeks tomorrow, so like you said hopefully it'll come soon! My LC also said the high pallet will usually get better with breastfeeding, so only time will tell!!

Thanks again! Always makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one!!

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs