Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Her teeth are hurting me!

Cool Her teeth are hurting me!

DD has 4 cute little teeth now. When the bottom two came in nursing was a little sore, but after a few days we both got used to the new additions. Her top teeth have been in for almost two weeks, and they still hurt me. I have two little tooth marks on my areola after we finish nursing each time. She's not biting, and when I make sure we have the best possible latch it hurts less, but it is still quite uncomfortable.

Is it normal to have teeth imprints? Does this happen to everyone? If so, does it get better with time?
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Default Re: Her teeth are hurting me!

It does get better. Here's some helpful suggestions:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/teeth.html

I'll have to try rinsing with water, lansinoh makes me itch. If I latch her on perfectly it hurts less, but still a little. Nights are the worst because we are both half asleep and I wake up with super sore nipples in the morning (or in the middle of the night).

Glad to know it will get better.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

I read a book called "The Baby Book" it was written by a couple who have eight children and they address this in the book. They said to be careful about scaring the baby with a yell or a flick in order to avoid a breastfeeding strick but they did suggest pressing the baby firmly in on your breast to bring them closer and force them to open their mouth up in order to get more air. They said after a few times of this uncomfortable feeling they usually will get the idea and stop biting. I recommend the book if you get a chance. It is written by William and Martha Sears. He is a doctor and she is a nurse. I got a lot of good information out of it.

I have to keep adjusting how I hold Nora as she grows more teeth. Sometimes just shifting her whole body to the right or left (depending which breast she's nursing from) would relieve the pressure of the teeth. Or proping her head up with a pillow sometimes works, too. It happens to me most often when she's sleepy and lets her jaw relax.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous