Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply Varies

Default Milk Supply Varies

I have a 3 month old daugther. Ever since I had her, it always felt like on somedays milk supply has run low ( I doubt if it would be sufficient for the baby), while on other days it feels like breasts are full and they leak.

I have resumed working about five days ago, for the first three days I expressed about 120ml milk on one side over a period of 2hrs, < I work for only 4-5 hrs per day, so it is sufficient for the baby>. Since yesterday, I am unable to express atleast 30ml from both sides; no matter how hard I try. I've tried expressing milk while she suckles on the other side, it doesn't help. My close family members think that I should feed formula to the baby. I don't want to give her formula, and am unable to go to work. Please help!

Default Re: Milk Supply Varies

Keep pumping and nursing they way you are but you could also try pumping at work and taking supplements such as Blessed Thistle, Fenugreek or Mother's milk Tea to keep up your supply.

I had problems with keeping up my supply as well and tried this and it worked for us. The most important thing is to not supplement. I made that mistake as well and am having a hard time getting my son off of it. Good luck and let us know!

(Hope this helps)

Hi!

I am interested in your method of milk removal. Is it a pump? which one? How is the suction? Is the pump old? Have you checked the seals? Any weird noises?

What happens if you do breast compressions while pumping? http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Are you using any cues to trigger a let down? Dirty baby cloths to sniff * a picture to gaze at, calling home to hear what baby is doing?

Can you tell me what makes you feel like your milk runs low on some days when you and baby are together?

Thanks for helping me out Carpentergirl!

I use "Tolly Joy Electric Pump". I don't know how hard the suction should be, with "Tolly joy", I hardly feel it. It is a new pump, I've checked the seals, it doesn't make weired noises.

When I am working, I didn't remove milk! There is no place at work to do so.

I can only tell that the supply is low due to soft breasts, and when I compress, there is hardly any milk comming out. I can't tell from baby pees & poops, she is growing normally. However, she was at 97th percentile of growth, now it is 50-75th percentile.

I am concerned with the varying milk supply. When the supply is good, I can express milk in the night and before I leave, but when it isn't there just isn't enough milk to express.

Thanks ncole!

Happy to know that supply can be increased. For the last two days I've been pumping after every feed and it hasn't increased yet.

DD only drinks from on side during each feed, I usually remove milk on the side that she just emptied, I don't do it on the other side for I am afraid that there won't be any left for her next feed. Do I have to remove milk on both sides after the feed? How do you go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    I use "Tolly Joy Electric Pump". I don't know how hard the suction should be, with "Tolly joy", I hardly feel it. It is a new pump, I've checked the seals, it doesn't make weired noises.
    I've heard of a lot of pumps, but never this one. Is it a double electric? Can you change the speed and suction levels? If it's not a high quality pump from a reputable company, that could be your problem.

I know several WOHMs who have used a Medela Pump in Style and have been very happy with it. The Ameda double electric is supposed to be pretty good, too. I only pump very ocassionally, but I've had a lot of success with the Avent Isis. It's a hand pump, not very expensive, and I'm always able to remove a lot of milk with it. I have a friend who works part time who has had very good results with the Isis as well. Of course, every mom is different. Maybe you could rent a hospital grade pump for a while and see if it makes a difference?

HTH.