Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: impatience at breast - low pumping output

Unhappy impatience at breast - low pumping output

I started back at full time work 3 weeks ago (DS was 14 weeks, is now 17 weeks), and my husband is on leave for 6 weeks until the summer (we are both teachers). I am having 2 problems since going back to work - help! I am very frustrated!

1) DS is popping on and off the breast, and it seems like impatience with waiting for letdown and milk not coming fast enough?? I think he prefers the bottle now. He gets 3 bottles of EBM per day while I am gone. Sometimes he will eat OK when he is almost sleeping, but after awhile of coaxing him on and back on again, we finally stop and it seems like he got some to eat, but doesn't fully drain my breast(s). I have been trying switch feeding to encourage more letdowns, but he's still impatient. Any suggestions on helping him be more patient/eager at the breast?

2) I can't seem to keep up with pumping! I had a small freezer stash built up that is basically gone (60 oz.). I pump 3 times a dayat work for 15-20 minutes each and can only get about 10 oz total, and DS is eating about 15 oz while I am gone. I am having a hard time fitting in extra pumping at home because other things are keeping me busy. He still wakes up a few times a night to feed, if only a little bit, so waking up to pump doesn't seem to be an option. Any way to coax my body to keep up with the demand when I pump?

DH has had to feed our soon a few bottles of formula (2-4 oz per day) in the past few days because there wasn't enough EBM. I know it's not the end of the world, but I would like him to have breastmilk as much as possible...is there any way to improve my situation??

Default Re: impatience at breast - low pumping output

Co-sleep when you can.
    When at home on weekends and whenever you can - do nothing but bfeed, eat, and sleep. Bfeed, eat, and sleep. . . this helped improve my supply.
    We just stayed in the room and he played when not bfing or not sleeping.

Hi mama,
    What is the total amount of time you and your baby are separated for during the day? Baby eats 15 ounces during this time? What method of feeding are you using? What flow nipple, what type of bottle?

When you are bf do you use any hand compressions to get things going? Here is a useful link showing what i am talking about:http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

I do hand compressions, yes. He still pops on and off. I am gone for roughly 9 hours, sometimes 10. We use Dr. Brown's...not the slowest flow, but I have tried other slow flow bottles and nipples, and he doesn't take any of them! DH says he's been hungry enough for 4-5 oz. per feeding for 3 feedings while I am gone...and he hasn't been spitting up. At his last Dr. visit (May 5th - 4 month checkup), his weight gained had slowed down...not so much that it was a concern, but it's been a while now, even before the bottles, that he hasn't been attending well to the breast. I am stubborn about BF my son for a year, and DH is fine with that, but it doesn't matter as much to him if DS is EBF, as long as he eats and is healthy (DH was FF - and turned out extremely intellegent, healthy, and close to his mother!!!).