Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clicking noise???

Default clicking noise???

I have nursed before and haven't had this problem. My dd is only 9 days old. I notice almost everytime I nurse she makes a clicking noise. I can hear her swallowing and she has a lot of wet diapers and poop. She can latch on but it doesn't seem strong. I can easily take her off the breast by just pulling away and my nipple slides right out. Anyone else have experience with this? Any advice welcome.
    Dawn
    Mommyto4: Jeremiah 10, Javier 4, Jacob 2, Serenity 0

Default Re: clicking noise???

Oh yes- thats what brought me to find this fine forum

This should give you a good start
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

my DD has always had a little bit of a clicking noise while nursing. Depends on the sound. They say if you put your tongue to the roof of your mouth and click, plus her cheeks dimple, then she's not latched on properly. But with my daughter she never had the dimpled cheeks and the click was very slight. I was told that some babies are just clickers. I have an OAL so I was also told, it might be her just trying to keep up with the flow...not sure if this helps you any. But you came to the right site. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice!! I love this site!!!
    Mommy of 3, newest DD, Jordyn, born 3-19-08

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs

are you cracked or bleeding?

The link on clicking is great resource from Number3.

In general one of the reasons for clicking can be baby trying to slow the flow of milk down.

While nursing do you hear any coughing, sputtering or choking?

What positions are you using? Would you like to try some other ones?

So baby is not able to get a strong latch? Are you experiencing any discomfort from the latch? Please describe what happens when you latch.

How is baby's muscle tone? Does baby feel really relaxed, or really tense? Some times holding the breast in a "C" hold can help baby get more breast tissue in the mouth.

**As a side note if baby is having plenty of wets and dirties, baby is able to adequately remove milk, and your latch really may be fine! When you say "lots of wet diapers and poop" how many do you mean? Your goal for a well hydrated baby is a minimum of between 5-6 wets and 2-3 poops - more is a sure sign that baby is getting plenty of milk.

Please tell us more!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    The link on clicking is great resource from Number3.

In general one of the reasons for clicking can be baby trying to slow the flow of milk down.

While nursing do you hear any coughing, sputtering or choking?

What positions are you using? Would you like to try some other ones?

So baby is not able to get a strong latch? Are you experiencing any discomfort from the latch? Please describe what happens when you latch.

How is baby's muscle tone? Does baby feel really relaxed, or really tense? Some times holding the breast in a "C" hold can help baby get more breast tissue in the mouth.

**As a side note if baby is having plenty of wets and dirties, baby is able to adequately remove milk, and your latch really may be fine! When you say "lots of wet diapers and poop" how many do you mean? Your goal for a well hydrated baby is a minimum of between 5-6 wets and 2-3 poops - more is a sure sign that baby is getting plenty of milk.

Please tell us more!

While nursing her I don't hear any coughing, sputtering or choking. She has a good muscle ton no dimples. I do sometimes experience discomfort from the latch. I use the football hold, Cradle Hold, Side-Lying Position. I did notice the clicking is on and off. Right now my nipples feel a bit sore but no cracking or bleeding. It doesn't hurt once she has been on for a minute or so. She has over 5 wet diapers a day and 4-5 so I think she is doing good.
    Last edited by Serenity0811; May 16th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.
    Dawn
    Mommyto4: Jeremiah 10, Javier 4, Jacob 2, Serenity 0

Hmm. It's possible to have a baby that is just a clicker- without it meaning there needs to be major breastfeeding overhaul. Your baby may have found a way to deal with the flow of milk. Does baby seem uncomfy?

yeah moms with tounge tie babies normaly are missable and cracked just about right from the start because of the way that baby moves their tounge.

Watch baby maybe you can figure out beter when she does the more clicking.
    I agree it
    could just be something she does.

Sometimes my LO seems to slip off effortlessly - as if he was never latched at all. Usually it's because the milk flow is strong and he ends up "drooling" it all over my breast. The breast is then slippery and hard for him to latch on to. At times, I have had to get a cloth and dry off my breast and start again (after a letdown)
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

sch mommy thats a great hint!
    thanks for sharing whats working for you!