Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spitting up - suggestions?

Default spitting up - suggestions?

hey everyone
    my lo is almost 4 weeks old and she's a spitter. we talked to the ped about it at our 1 week checkup, and she said that some babies are just like that, but its really starting to get out of control.
    dd nurses every 2-3 hours, one side only, for 10-15 minutes. although she doesn't nurse long, she is quite effective, evident by the emptiness of my breast afterwards and by the massive amounts she sometimes spits up. after we nurse, i burp her and hold her up on my shoulder for 10-20 minutes. she has good days and bad, but on a bad day she will spit up most of the feeding somewhere between 20 - 45 minutes after she eats, however she sometimes has come off the breast and spit up right away, or waited as long as 2 hours.
    the spit up is not forceful at all, and she doesn't really seemed bothered by it, except when she is laying down on it ends up all over her face. she is having the appropriate number of wet/dirty diapers and she is a happy baby who is easily consoled on the rare occasions that she cries.
    so what is up with this little one?? does anyone else have these sorts of issues? besides loads of laundry everyday, what do you do?
    thanks for any help!
    amy

Default Re: spitting up - suggestions?

It sound like it's GER (Gastroesophageal reflux). My little one has it. Some babies are really bothered by it, and others (like mine and yours) barely seem to notice. At the bottom of the esophagus there is a ring of muscle called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) that opens and closes to allow food to enter the stomach. Normally, the LES opens after a meal to release gas. However in babies with GER, when the LES opens the milk reflux's (not sure if that's a word, lol) into the esophagus causing spit up/vomiting/regurgitation etc.

I've discussed medications with my doctor at our 6 week check up but because ds doesn't seem bothered by it I opted to wait a couple of weeks. I have another appt on the 21st so I'll see how ds is then. Most babies out grow it - it's just a matter of when. In the mean time, I'm washing laundry for myself and ds constantly.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

ETA: sometimes feeding smaller amounts more frequently helps . . . but I haven't figured out how to do that with my ds since if I take him off the breast early he gets very upset : Also, I'm not sure about foremilk/hindmilk issues that might result from that. You might have better luck than me though
    Last edited by sch.mommy; May 15th, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: spitting up - suggestions?

DD is a happy spitter... she spits up quite frequently during the day. Although, since I cut out dairy from my diet about a month ago, she spits up a little less frequently now.

I know they say that it can look like she is spitting up a lot more than she is - if you spill a tablespoon of milk on the counter it looks like a ton! So she might be spitting up less quantity than you think...
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.