Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Calculating Weight Gain

Default Calculating Weight Gain

My daughter (born on 02/13/08) weighed 3780 grams at birth. She lost during her first week, and reached a low point of 3416 grams on 02/17/08. From then she has been gaining, however the weight gain has been slow (according to my breastfeeding clinic). Her last weight on 05/11/08 was 5023grams. Therefore, we have had a total weight gain of 1607 grams (if you look at the lowest weight she reached). For the past 3 months, I have visited the breastfeeding clinic almost weekly as my family doc, and the clinic both have been concerned about the weight gain. They have suggested a milk supply issue (I am sure it's not milk supply-have no problem expresssing etc.), and are at the point where they keep "threatening" formula if she doesn't "gain appropriately" on these weekly weigh-ins (they are looking for a 15-30gram/day gain). Her wet/dirty are great (at least 8 HEAVY wet, and 2-3 dirty/day), and she is meeting all developmental milestones. On the WHO breastfeeding growth chart, she falls somewhere around the 40th percentile. My question is this: do you calculate weight gain based on their lowest weight they reached, or by birth weight?

Default Re: Calculating Weight Gain

They "should" do it by lowest weight since thats wehre baby has gained from. a steady 40% is perfectly fine. Baby should stay steady... doesn't mean right at the same plot point, but steady. Sounds like baby girl is doing well
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.