Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed re: EBF past 12 months

Default Re: Advice needed re: EBF past 12 months

Thank you all for the kind words and support.

I don't think she has a problem swallowing, I mean - she nurses just fine. Wouldn't she have difficulty nursing if she were having trouble swallowing? I know it is different motions (nursing/sucking and eating/swallowing). Sometimes she opens her mouth and accepts a spoon if there is food on it. I can sometimes get my finger in her mouth (with food on the tip of my finger) but that is getting more and more dangerous as she gets more teeth.

It seems to me that she is just rejecting anything that isn't mama's milk. She isn't fond of medicine, and we haven't had a need to give it to her really anyways. I think with the oragel it is the taste of it moreso than the fact that its something foreign in her mouth.

I have not tried giving EBM from a spoon - although that sounds like a super idea. I will do that tomorrow. Can't believe I didn't think of that sooner.

I am waiting to hear back from a few friends of friends, and will be attending a local LLL meeting on Friday to hopefully meet some like-minded mommys and get some pediatrician recommendations from them too.

Thank you all for the support - it is very encouraging to hear stories of others who nurse their babies for longer than what the "norm" is now in this country. I know I am doing the best I can for my baby, and that is all that matters.

Thank goodness that you are smarter than your pediatrician! I think the idea to wean so that she will eat solids is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Your instincts to keep nursing and get a new pediatrician are great!

When you get your new pediatrician you might ask about texture aversion, maybe that is why your current pediatrician wanted you to see an OT. I don't know much about it but I think the theory is that some kids don't like to feel the texture of food in their mouths.

i also think you should find a new doctor that is more in-line with your style of thinking, if it is the case that your baby is just not interested and has no problems.

i also switched doctors when my daugther was about 5 months because i could see that the old doc and i had way different approaches to child feeding.

my daughter is now one year old and barely eating solids, which is fine by me (its more convenient! ) sometimes she'll try whatever im eating, other days its just all breastmilk. until i see a problem i dont regard her eating habits as a problem and neither does our current doctor.

as far as babies nursing past one year being "wrong" i think thats totally bogus. aside from what scientific evidence has indicated the scripture i follow (the Qur'an) says that the term of suckling is two years (and a mother can nurse beyond that if she wishes). not that that really helps you much but i guess this i a open-and-close type conversation for me if anyone ever tries to tell me that and i also wanted to share to show you that the term of "normal breastfeeding" that many doctors in the U.S. might suggest is by no means an global-norm!

i hope you find a healthcare provider that suits you!

Smile Re: Advice needed re: EBF past 12 months

Hi there - I am a Physiotherapist / Physical Therapist and had to add my five pence as I am disgusted in the treatment you received from your Paediatrician.
    I think firstly (in all manners) you as the mother were given the intuition with regards to what is right for your child. Believe this always and never let any 'professional' usurp that power. So, continue breastfeeding, and as you are doing this realise that all your immunity and vitamins/minerals are being passed through to your wee poppit protecting him/her... I have never heard of a child needing vitamins unless there was a pathology diagnosed (you would have had blood tests and other evidence to back this up). If you are secretly worried, then pop some vitamins in your mouth and let these go through to your baby through the milk.

Secondly, remember that we in the West get awfully hung up about 'milestones' which are basically averages in a bell-shaped curve. In many other countries the baby is breastfed right through ( meaning riiiiiigggghhhht through) and our 'thing' about shoving food at them when they are not ready may well be laughed at. So really you are very blessed to have such a wonderful milk supply and such a healthy baby. Try to remember this as you sift through others' opinions.
    With regards to milestones, my wee poppit (13 months, and not eating table food, but eating mashy stuff) does not crawl at all. Now you can imagine the stressy comments I hear about this? The thing is, he is progressing and is 'normal'. The way I deal with it is to let people know what I do etc..... but then to avoid gatherinings of women (which is sad in a way but only for a while), because even I get upset at times with comments and sterotypes which get to you despite you knowing in your gut that all is well....

Thirdly, with regards to seeing an OT. I would go ahead with this and not worry as they are lovely caring people on the whole. Stick with the appointment, and then when you go to the OT (Occupational Therapist) take the bull by the horns first and define your boundaries (if they do not respect these, then ask to be referred to another until you find the right one). Tell them that you are breastfeeding and see nothing in the literature to suggest that stopping this would aide your baby accepting solids.
    I suspect from your comments about the gag reflex etc that your wee poppit has 'oral sensitivity'. That is, any texture in the mouth which is foreign sets off the gag at the back of the throat (an involuntary survival mechanism to prevent choking in a baby), This will disappear as he/she gets older, but may take years to completely dissipate (my sister's 6 year old will vomit any food that is 'forced' at him still due to this). The OT will more than likely try to assess which textures set off this reaction and then slowly reintroduce that sensation through toys or food to desensitize the area. Not a big deal, and hopefully very helpful as it will give you ideas on how to gently break the cycle without compromising your beliefs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this oral sensitivity, and keep away from well-intentioned people with their ideas on 'norms' and 'weaning'. Remember in all things that you are the mother, and if a decision does not give you peace, then it is more than likely the wrong way to go!

All my best
    Elizabeth

My ds had a very strong gag reflex. He would choke on cheerios at 9 months old. He never really got into trying solid finger foods until close to a year, and then at about 13 months he really took off and started eating everything. Now he stuffs so much stuff in his mouth at once, I don't know how he manages not to choke. Your dd may just need a little more time to become comfortable with food.

I just figure ds inherited his gag reflex from me. I gagged on things I was told I "had" to eat.. and it was not intentional. I could not swallow a pill until I was about 14 (about the same age my mom and grandmother learned to swallow pills, btw). Despite several years of orthodontics and people poking things in my mouth, I still have problems getting a throat culture at the doctor's office. It's hardly something I would classify as a "problem" in my life, though. It's just a quirk.

Talking Re: Advice needed re: EBF past 12 months

I also had a dd slow to take to solids. At nearly 30 mos she is probably 50/50 solids/bm. She's growing, healthy, happy, developmentally on track.. She just had a heck of a gag reflex and loved the bm! LOL What worked for to start with were- mesh feeders and really small pieces (like crumbles) of table foods. With the mesh feeders she could suck and chew on things and it was under her control (another biggie- she hated being FED, wanted to FEED herself, kwim?). For the small pieces I would take like mixed grain saltines (I know not the healthiest but it worked! LOL) and crumble it into dust pretty much and then give her small pinches at a time until she could do it herself. Or put it in the mesh feeder. Also, I got fruit leathers (100% fruit) and tore those up and put them in mesh feeders. It took until about 18 mos until she was even 10% on solids... but at least she was consistantly taking some each day.

She is still a picky eater (gets that from me I bet lol) and her gag reflex is still sensitive. But, I never forced her to eat and it resolved on its own. I hope you find a new pedi soon. TG my dd's pedi was very cool with bfing and just told me to let her take her time and follow my instincts (though she did push those nasty vitamins that I just *forgot* to give lol).

HTH

Mel

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Also, have you read the book "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler"? It's just one fo those books that I could NOT live without!

Jacqui

One of my breastfeeding friends has a one-and a half year old who still exclusively breastfeeds, and seems healthier and happier than any baby I know, my baby is only two months old but I personally hope he will want to exclusively breastfeed for at least a year, I think it gives the baby a better start.