Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just can't figure this out!!! HELP!!

Default Just can't figure this out!!! HELP!!

Well, I am nursing my 10wk old...and I guess it is true what they say that every baby has a different nursing behavior. My toddler never did this, I am stumped.

For the last three days this has been plaquing me. He pulls off the breast constantly. Just as soon as he pulls off he is screaming to get back on. Over and over until he starts to get sleepy. If I grab him while he is sleeping to nurse, he is great.

I did have a killer sore throat over the weekend and am wondering if he has it now? No runny nose or sneezin or anything. (Sorry if I jump around in this post, I type it as I think it..lol) He does not have thrush. I thought it might be an issue with forceful letdown as this was an issue in the first couple of weeks (then he was fine for weeks), it seems to happen as soon as he gets to the breast, before letdown even occurs. I burp frequently. He has been a spitter since day one, not abundantly so, but a spitter. I have not changed anything in my diet per say. Over the weekend I did take garlic for a couple of days, thought that might be the problem-but I have not taken it in three days now with no change, not sure how long that stays in the system. Oh, one more thing, if/when he wakes for a middle of the night feed, none of this happens.

By the end of the day I am in tears with frustration...and a bit sore. This morning I tried the football hold so he could not pull off, it helped a little. Anyone have any help for me? Experienced momma's HELP!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Default Re: Just can't figure this out!!! HELP!!

You might be on to something with the idea of a sore throat. Did you have any other symptoms? It might make sense that at night he is more relaxed, not sucking as hard, and therefore a sore throat wouldn't be as bothersome. You might just have to ride it out for another day or two and see if things go back to normal or take a trip to the dr just in case it is his throat and isn't getting better.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

If it's only been 3 days, I would just try to ride it out for a couple more days unless he shows any other signs of illness.
    Just throwing some ideas out there from my experience:
    DD2 sometimes pulls off but that's usually when she needs to burp. She also does it if I let her get too fussy before nursing her, and sometimes when she's just plain tired.
    She's more likely to pull off and on and fuss at the end of the day during the hour or so before she's out for the night (well, the first part of the night ).
    Is this happening all day or just at certain times?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

You may want to explore reflux?? Talk to your ped. about symptoms. How are diapers??

It does seem to be certain times of the day. I must say I am guilty of trying to keep my two children on the same schedule thus allowing me some sanity time during their afternoon naps to either catch up or put my feet up. I might be guilty of feeding him too often in an effort to keep the "schedule" therefore maybe he is pulling off because he is not all that hungry....and I noticed this morning I tried to nurse him cause he was shoving his hands in his mouth and just fussy fussy. After a bad attempt at nursing I put him in his swing and literally he was asleep in a matter of seconds. I sat back and thought about the evening when he is at his worst...I think he is just overtired and does not know how to deal with it. During these times I pat his little butt firmly while he nurses and he seems to calm.

Thanks for you input guys....I've licked many other issues with my first little one...I needed a reminder that I can get through this one as well...just need a refill on patience

Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet