Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toast?

Default Toast?

I want to give DD toast, but most bread seems to contain milk. Is this okay to give her before a year old or should I try to steer clear of breads that are made with milk? She'll be 8 months in a week btw. TIA!!!

ETA: is it okay to give wheat bread? Just tell me anything you know about giving toast to a baby lol.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: Toast?

my lo is 9 mo and I have been giving little bits of bread for about a month or two now! like when we are out at restaurants to hold her over/keep her busy. its been all kinds, even garlic bread! She loves it and no problems! I think youll be ok!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

I think that's about the same age we started giving DD toast. She's always had whole wheat bread, since it's healthier. White bread is wheat, too, it just doesn't have the whole grain.

As far as milk, I'd say if you've done yogurt or cheese already, I wouldn't worry about it from an allergy standpoint. I think the only reason they usually say no milk before one is so that it's not replacing breastmilk or formula, even though it's common to give other milk products.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

Quote Originally Posted by Lexa's Mom View Post
    As far as milk, I'd say if you've done yogurt or cheese already, I wouldn't worry about it from an allergy standpoint. I think the only reason they usually say no milk before one is so that it's not replacing breastmilk or formula, even though it's common to give other milk products.
    Actually, cow's milk can harm an immature gut, and cause blood loss from minute tears in the lining of the stomach. Here is a good link about cow's milk.

As for toast, I try to find dairy free varieties, and I make my own. We just opted last night to try wheat with ds--he's almost 8 months. We started with wheat teething biscuits and will see what his reaction is. Its probably a good idea to start with a bread with as few ingredients as possible, so that if there is a reaction, you can narrow it down, so if your lo hasn't had wheat or dairy yet, you really should consider finding a bread without both, if that makes sense.

HTH

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

thanks ladies! I think I'll go for it on Monday and just introduce it like a new food and I'll find bread that doesn't have dairy. Thanks again!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

On the milk part, I think when it is cooked into something, it changes the properties of the milk so that it is not the same issue as drinking it from a cup. Most people who are can't drink milk, can eat cake, bread, etc. for example.

I gave my baby toast, white bread, sometimes. He's 11 months old now but I started giving him when he's about 8 months. Actually his doctor is the one who said I could give him toast. So I think it should be okay.

We found a decent rice bread @ the health food store. It is free of wheat and dairy. Not really that tasty to adults, but to a baby that doesn't know any different, he loved it! We also did homemade bread.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Both of my DDs started eating foods that contain milk at 8 or 9 months and we've had no problems.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.