Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any ideas how to find donor milk besides milk bank?

Default Any ideas how to find donor milk besides milk bank?

Does anyone know anything about milkshare? I've had a rough 5 and a half months and now have no supply. I would love to still give my LO some breast milk; Any ideas?
    Thanks

Default Re: Any ideas how to find donor milk besides milk bank?

Maybe your local LLL leader knows of a local group that does that?
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

I donated milk through that group for months. Are you interested it any trying any trouble shooting? It is often helpful to get ideas from this forum.

I've tried everything.... I've been to LLL. I've been EP'ing for the last 3 and a half months with low supply. I just had a horrible bout with mastitis and now I'm done. Milk is barely there

where do you live? i would try to post it on your local craigslist.com in the baby stuff section. a lot of local moms browse it and i'm sure many of them have freezers stacked but end up never using the milk.
    Last edited by nakouzijurga0; May 15th, 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nakouzijurga0 View Post
    where do you live? i would try to post it on your local craigslist.com in the baby stuff section. a lot of local moms browse it and i'm sure many of them have freezers stacked but end up never using the milk.
    Not sure that would be very safe. the milk bank pastureizes the EBM just like cows milk. If you are comfortable with that though, Im sure craigs list would be great

Quote Originally Posted by nakouzijurga0 View Post
    Yup. I browsed our local list and I had a freezer full. I'd have given to a mom in need. And furthermore, I'd have kept pumping if I knew she needed it. There are other milkcows out there. I hope you find one!!

There are the obvious concerns, but if the mama had wanted me to go to the Health Dept for a blood work up or something, I'd have done it if she reimbursed me.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Quote Originally Posted by Chloesmommy View Post
    Not sure that would be very safe. the milk bank pastureizes the EBM just like cows milk. If you are comfortable with that though, Im sure craigs list would be great
    I would be very cautious of giving bm from someone I don't know if the milk does not come from a reputable source like a milk bank. You never know what medications other mothers are taking or what their social life is like.

Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

It's great to hear that you are already in contact with your local LLL Leader and Group. It's always helpful to have local support.

Ck819, it's common to notice a dip in milk production after mastitis. Most mothers find that if they increase milk removal regularly for several days that milk production increases again. Many mothers find it also helps to rest as much as possible, eat nutritiously, and drink to thirst.

What type of pump are you using and how frequently are you currently pumping?

You may find this information helpful--Here is a video that shows how to maximize milk production using a pump:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html (non-LLL resource)

When available, the best source of breastmilk is (of course) your own. An accredited milk bank is the optimal resource for obtaining donor milk since donors are screened, tested, and the milk is pasteurized and then tested again. Casual milk sharing is not recommended because of the risks associated with it (such as the transmission of HIV and Hepatitis B, or ingestion of medications or herbs that could adversely affect the baby).

Below are some recommendations and precautions regarding casual milk sharing:
    A mother who is unable to use a human milk bank is encouraged to use the services of a doctor who is knowledgeable about managing human milk donations. The doctor will order the necessary testing for the donor mother, and make sure that the mothers involved in the donation are given the correct management information about human milk expression, storage and transportation.
    http://www.llli.org/Release/milksharing.html
    Please see the full article for more details. And if you have any questions/concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know!

I certainly did not mean to suggest that milksharing was to be taken lightly. But if I'd been able to connect with a mama that needed it locally I'd have jumped through a lot of hoops to know it wasn't being wasted. I can't be the only one!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...