Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: taking FishOil/DHA ????

Default taking FishOil/DHA ????

I've read about this a couple of places and am wondering if I should be taking a supplement - my older kids take FishOil - Aren't the Omega-3s imp??? I'm a little clueless on all of this but am worried I should be taking something.... LO is already 9 months, and I'm still taking a pre-natal, but... I don't eat fish really, by the way... any advice? thanks!

Default Re: taking FishOil/DHA ????

I take a DHA suppliment. I do it because the type of fat that is in your BM is based on the type that you consume. So if you eat a lot of saturated fat, your lo will too, you eat unsaturated fat, so will your lo. Or at least that what I read somewhere... cant recall where now...
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

DHA is an Omega 3 that is good for brain and nerve tissue. I read it's in fish oil (they get it from what they eat). I take a supplement of it so DD gets it in my milk. Flax seeds, which many people eat, have a different Omega 3.

has anyone heard it should be a certain kind of fish oil then? one that would contain less Mercury??? My older kids just take whatever we buy at the drug store - coincidentally, our older son does have autism, and we started giving it to help him w/ focus, etc....

I take OMEGA 3-6-9 from a health foods store. It was for the fatty acids for me and brain development for my LO. I have been doing it for months.

There's a DHA supplement I took while I was pregnant, and probably will start taking again called Expecta(?) it's in a bright yellow box and is comes from something besides fish oil to avoid the whole mercury issue.

Here's a link, but I just buy it at wal-mart or the drugstore:
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...ELAID=61264456

I started with the Expecta, but it's expensive ($10 -$11 for 30 pills). There's usually a coupon inside the box. There's also a product called Omega Mom (or Momma) that you can get at Whole Foods.

You can get Flaxseed Oil capsules from Costco that have DHA in them and they are much cheaper. I've been sticking with the Flaxseed Oil capsules from Costco because they are reasonable, have just as much DHA as the fish oil, and they don't have that fishy aftertaste that I get from some of the fish oil capsules.
    at work morning and night

Ecstatic mom to Elena born 10/12/07

Expecta is made by a formula company--the ingredients are derived from cultivated algae.

Here is a very good resource that outlines the pros and cons of taking a supplement:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...HA-mother.html

HTH!

I take fish oil for Omega 3 and 6. Does fish oil contain mercury? I'm worried now.

Wife to Brian, Mother to James 11/28/2005 and Kevin 02/24/2008.

03/06/2008 8 pounds 3 ounces
    03/11/2008 8 pounds 12 ounces
    03/21/2008 9 pounds 12 ounces
    04/08/2008 11 pounds exactly
    05/01/2008 13 pounds 6 ounces
    05/08/2008 14 pounds exactly

Breastfeeding goals:
    2 weeks
    4 weeks
    6 weeks
    2 months
    3 months
    6 months
    9 months
    1 year!!

Most of the fish oil supplements say they have some sort of refining process to make sure there is no mercury. Read the label; I looked at my Costco fish oil supplements yesterday and they said they use a refining process to make sure they remove the mercury.
    at work morning and night

Ecstatic mom to Elena born 10/12/07