Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adoptive Breastfeeding - New Member

Question Adoptive Breastfeeding - New Member

Hello ladies.

I am new here and would appreciate your advice.

My husband and I will be adopting a newborn in late October. I would really like to be able to breastfeed the baby to aid in the attachment process and for the nutrition the baby will receive.

I have been told I can 'make' myself lactate without medication (birth control, dom., etc.). Is this possible? If so, what steps would I need to take? I am willing to take herbs, but have a bad hx with bcp and would like to stay away from them if at all possible. Can pumping alone induce lactation?

I would like to start this process soon so that I can prepare my body for this amazing journey.

I appreciate your time.

Thank you.

Default Re: Adoptive Breastfeeding - New Member

Hello and ,

Congratulations on your upcoming adoption!

Yes, it is possible to induce lactation without using bcp's. They do speed up the process, though. Take a look at www.asklenore.com for more information. (Specifically, Dr. Jack Newman's protocol for induced lactation).

Take a look at the sticky at the top of this forum for some good resources and articles to get you started. It includes information on common herbs used to induce lactation. Pumping, preferably with a hospital grade pump, is key when inducing lactation. Since you have several months before your baby is born, you have a good amount of time to build a milk supply for your newborn. Then, once your baby is in your arms, frequent breastfeeding should begin as soon as possible.

You will want to talk to the adoption agency/birth mother and hospital about your desire to breastfeed. It would be helpful if the baby did not receive bottles or pacifiers while in the hospital. Sometimes, birth mothers are willing to breastfeed baby in the hospital, and sometimes, the adoptive parents are allowed to be with baby shortly after the birth and assume feeding responsibilities right away. It would be a good idea to come up with a plan that everyone can agree on ahead of time, so that there are no surprises.

Getting support from a local LLL leader or IBCLC can also make a big difference. You can find a leader near you by using the "Find Local Support" scrollbar at the top of the page.

I wish you all the best! Again, congratulations!!

Tiana

Speaking as an adopting mom, I say do what ever it takes. I've had my little man for 3 weeks now, and am SOOOOOO happy I decided to make the effort. We all know about the nutritional benefits but the biggest thing I've found is when a baby is nursing, he is staring into your eyes 90 % of the time. If he nurses many hours a day, every minute he is doing so, he is studying your face. This happens as well while you bottle feed, but only for that 5 minutes until the bottle is gone. My little guy knows my face now, he is only 2 months old, but when someone else is holding him, his eyes follow me around the room, and he smiles at me when I walk up to pick him up. He doesn't do that to anyone else. I really chalk that up to the many (many) hours we've spent trying to establish a milk supply in the last 3 weeks.
    All the luck to you, and even if you aren't able to supply your baby with all the milk he'll need, remember that that is not the only goal in breastfeeding (especially) the adopted baby.
    Feel free to PM me if you'd like
    Tina

Neat thread............we may be looking into adoption in the near future but at the moment I am trying to relactate after 21 months of no milk for my twins. So I'm not sure if I'm starting from scratch but I'm hopeful that things will pick up soon. Started my tea today plus Rescue Remedy so I'll relax more.

I see you're new here as well!! Cool, hope to see some success stories, well even MORE success stories I guess.