Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adoptive Breastfeeding - New Member

Question Adoptive Breastfeeding - New Member

Hello ladies.

I am new here and would appreciate your advice.

My husband and I will be adopting a newborn in late October. I would really like to be able to breastfeed the baby to aid in the attachment process and for the nutrition the baby will receive.

I have been told I can 'make' myself lactate without medication (birth control, dom., etc.). Is this possible? If so, what steps would I need to take? I am willing to take herbs, but have a bad hx with bcp and would like to stay away from them if at all possible. Can pumping alone induce lactation?

I would like to start this process soon so that I can prepare my body for this amazing journey.

I appreciate your time.

Thank you.

Default Re: Adoptive Breastfeeding - New Member

BlessedMommy welcome to the fourm..
    have you nursed a baby before?]
    heres some more info:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBadoptive.html

you might look for a copy of this book
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMayJun07p126.html

If you're comfortable telling us your story, we'd love to get periodic updates about your progress. Many of us enjoy reading these warm-fuzzy stories on this site... Good luck!

I had never heard of this before until I was reading about the Reglan they put me on to boost my supply. It said it was used to bring in milk for adoptive mothers. It has some adverse affects, so do your research, but I have heard it works. Good luck!!! I think it is the beginning of a great story

I'm going to move this thread to Relactation and Induced Lactation
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I am jealous. I wish I had researched ABF before we adopted.

I think there is a site called Ask Lenore. I haven't checked it out, but some others on my adoption board have used their protocol.

I thought this web page had a ton of rhetorical information- It's a woman's journey through adoption and breastfeeding http://members.tripod.com/~Darillyn/

Here is another site that would offer you support and information: http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

You certainly can bring in milk without drugs. Some women have found that they can bring in more milk than others. You MUST have a hospital grade pump (not a pump in style) and be willing to pump every 2 hours during the day and 3 hours at night. It is a difficult process, but milk will come. Any amount of milk is better than none so don't get caught up in an "all or nothing" mentality (which is SO easy to do). Rather, celebrate each ounce and know that when baby comes, s/he can enjoy nursing time with mommy!

I reccomend getting started as soon as possible because It does take a while, especially without medication.