Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pacifier reccomendations

Smile pacifier reccomendations

Any reccs on paci for bf babies? I try to use one for those times when she is not actively nursing but using me as a paci... But she really does not like the one I brought.

Default Re: pacifier reccomendations

Congratulations on your new baby! And welcome to LLL's forum.

You might want to research pacifier use and how it could affect breastfeeding before offering one again, especially for a young baby like your little one ... LLL's stand on it reads:

3. Limit the Use of Bottles and Pacifiers

Some babies clearly do use bottles and pacifiers and manage to continue breastfeeding for at least a year. But, as stated in THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, getting sucking needs met somewhere other than the breast is a risk factor for early weaning. Using artificial nipples during the early weeks can interfere with a baby's ability to breastfeed effectively.

La Leche League suggests limiting pacifier use in the early weeks, which can seem confusing to some mothers in light of the recent recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics that babies should sleep with pacifiers to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. LLL believes that the recommendation did not take basic breastfeeding management into account and could threaten the development of longer-term breastfeeding relationships. According to a statement issued by LLL:

Pacifiers are artificial substitutes for what the breast does naturally. Breastfed babies often nurse to sleep for naps and bedtime. The recommended pacifier usage could cause a reduction in milk supply due to reduced stimulation of the breasts and may affect breastfeeding duration.
    In other words, if pacifiers are good for babies, why not use the best -- the breast?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

We have bought 7-8 different kinds, and our little guy does not like ANY of them. Well, no, he did occasionally take the Soothie brand ones. What he did like was a pinky finger. Dad's preferably. But, as my doctor so helpfully pointed out when I asked her about it, your finger is still attached to you. (Yes, I'd noticed...) The girl at BabiesRUs said the Avent ones were supossed to be really good for bf babies (how's that for official authority?), and we thought he would probably take the same brand as the bottles we use (Playtex Nursers), but No. So, actually, I'm not much help, I guess! Now DS sucks on his own fingers, so we've pretty much decided to let the binky issue go. (Now what to do with 15 binkies???) We just use the pinky nowadays when he wants to comfort suck to sleep without milk getting in his way.

I do want to mention that we did wait a few weeks first though to get bf established. The Pacifier topic you'll find brings up all kinds of stong opinions, so I recommend getting all the info you can and then doing what feels right to you. One of my first lessons of Motherhood was that I had to do the choosing, because I am the Mother!
    Last edited by Pazygozo; July 26th, 2006 at 11:04 PM.

We tried dozens before Anya took to the Avent silicone pacis. I think she likes them because we use a nipple shield to nurse with and that is silicone as well.
    Anya does comfort nurse quite a lot but sometimes prefers the paci when her belly is really full.

My son took a finger ( and that's all!!) from 8weeks till 4&1/2 months. At that point he started turning his head and crying when offered. So we stopped. But the whole time he took one it was nice because I would only have to nurse for about 30 min to sleep at night and then he would happily suck on my finger for the next hour. Before that he would actually nurse for an hour or more to go to sleep and I hadn't mastered sidelye nursing so had to sit up the whole time.
    In retro spect I'm glad my finger is what he chose. I never lost it and I never dropped it!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    My son took a finger ( and that's all!!) from 8weeks till 4&1/2 months. At that point he started turning his head and crying when offered. So we stopped. But the whole time he took one it was nice because I would only have to nurse for about 30 min to sleep at night and then he would happily suck on my finger for the next hour. Before that he would actually nurse for an hour or more to go to sleep and I hadn't mastered sidelye nursing so had to sit up the whole time.
    In retro spect I'm glad my finger is what he chose. I never lost it and I never dropped it!
    That is what we did with Addie too, "gave her the finger!" ... especially handy for the car, which she hates. But she started refusing the pinky at around 5 months too. BTW, Adeline still nurses for up to 2 hours sometimes to go to sleep ... thank heavens for the side lying pos., eh ladies?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

We use the silicone Nuks. I think they are made by Gerber? But she is starting to suck on her hand more now.

We have always used silicon Mam pacifiers. I liked the idea of silicon better than latex because some people have latex allergies and, quite frankly, I think the latex pacifiers taste funny. I had every intention of avoiding them altogether, but ds had a high sucking need. I would only give a pacifier when his belly was full after nursing.

My son prefers the silicone ones from Walmart, the knockoff Mam ones.

But I truly regret ever using one. It didn't make us wean sooner -- we limited use to after he had a full tummy, the car and bedtime -- but now if we lose the darn thing, GOOD LUCK. He runs around hollering B, B, B (his word for it) and we get no peace. Wish I had not listened to my mom, even though he had a high-sucking need.

And now we have to try to wean from that thing!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Early on she took the soothie from the hospital but that lasted about 2 days and only if we held it for her. She's never take a paci since then. She will also suck a finger, or my shoulder, or my cheeks but who wants that long term and yes we've all had hickies in my family from her sucking. Now she's found her own thumb She's still a marathon nurser especially at night, and I haven't mastered the side lying position, however, I'm a champ at sleeping on the couch sitting up I guess I like this anyway because my first one had to eventually send her paci to Santa Claus to have her get rid of it at age 4!!!!