Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Baby not latching correctly, I am pumping only

Default Help! Baby not latching correctly, I am pumping only

HI! My baby is 6 weeks old. When he was born, my nipples hurt so much, they were bleeding and really sore, so I started using a nipple shield. It hurt a lot anyways. So I bought the Advanced Medela Electric Double Pump, and started pumping my milk. I have not given my baby any formula. I went back to work last week, and while there, I am pumping every 2 hours, at 7.30, 9.30, 11.30 and 1.30, for 15 minutes. I get 3 - 4 ounces each time. When I get back home, I put my baby at the breast, but he is only there for a max. of 10 mins. before he starts crying and fussing. I give him 1 ounce before I put him to the breast, but he still cries and get all desperate. Then I pump at 6.30, 10.00, and 11.30. I get 4 ounces each time. Then I go to sleep and when I get up at 5.30 I pump again. This time I get 7-8 ounces.
    Right now my baby is eating between 3 and 4 ounces, so right now I have enough milk. My concern is that since he is refusing to eat at my breast, I don't know how my milk production will increase if I keep doing the same thing. I am concerned I will not produce enough milk for him in a month or two. He eats 3-4 ounces every 3 hours. Right now I have a week milk supply frozen, and I am freezing around 4 - 6 ounces every day.
    Is it too late to make him eat at my breast? I really had all the intention of breastfeed only for 6 months, but I don't know what to do. I feel really sad because I feel that because of my inexperience and selfishness, my baby will not get all the benefits of my milk.
    Any advice??? Thank you.
    Last edited by bsaldana; May 14th, 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Did not include information

Default Re: Help! Baby not latching correctly, I am pumping only

It sounds like your really worried about keeping up your supply. Any you really want to get your LO nursing!

Do you have a LLL Leader you can call or a Lactation Consultant?
    Here's a good link with some info on how to get a baby to the breast, it's not too late!

When he was born, my nipples hurt so much, they were bleeding and really sore, so I started using a nipple shield. It hurt a lot anyways.
    Usually pain is trouble with latch or positioning, here's more info on that. Sometimes it can be something else, like preemie babies have a hard time and babies with a tongue tie can have problems as well. A LC/LLL Leader can help you with these problems.

So I bought the Advanced Medela Electric Double Pump, and started pumping my milk. I have not given my baby any formula. I went back to work last week, and while there, I am pumping every 2 hours, at 7.30, 9.30, 11.30 and 1.30, for 15 minutes. I get 3 - 4 ounces each time. When I get back home, I put my baby at the breast, but he is only there for a max. of 10 mins. before he starts crying and fussing. I give him 1 ounce before I put him to the breast, but he still cries and get all desperate. Then I pump at 6.30, 10.00, and 11.30. I get 4 ounces each time. Then I go to sleep and when I get up at 5.30 I pump again. This time I get 7-8 ounces.
    This sounds like your doing great! I certainly understand your need and desire to get your baby to nurse full time while with you. It's much easier that way. I hope the links above and getting some hands on help can make a difference for you!

Right now my baby is eating between 3 and 4 ounces, so right now I have enough milk. My concern is that since he is refusing to eat at my breast, I don't know how my milk production will increase if I keep doing the same thing. I am concerned I will not produce enough milk for him in a month or two. He eats 3-4 ounces every 3 hours. Right now I have a week milk supply frozen, and I am freezing around 4 - 6 ounces every day.
    If you think he's not nursing well enough right now to maintain your supply then thinking about renting a hospital grade pump might be something to think about. They are really made for full time maintain and increase your supply use.
    That said, are his diapers ok? 5-6 wet, 3-4 bowel movements? That's a great way to tell he's getting plenty. A lot of mom's only ever give 3-4 oz in a bottle, they don't increase a whole lot. Usually by the time they need more your adding solids.

Is it too late to make him eat at my breast? I really had all the intention of breastfeed only for 6 months, but I don't know what to do. I feel really sad because I feel that because of my inexperience and selfishness, my baby will not get all the benefits of my milk.
    Your not selfish mama, quite the opposite! Your determined to make this work, and it is not too late!

Do they make different sized nipple shields? From what I've heard it shouldn't hurt to use one...
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find all the support you need here!
    First of all, if you currently have enough milk to support your baby, all you need to do is stay at that production level. Babies that take breast milk typically eat about the same ounces over the long haul, formula fed babies take increasing number of ounces. Generally your baby may eat more during growth spurts, and at six weeks you are on target for a growth spurt. How many total ounces do you produce per day? How many does baby eat per day?
    If you are double pumping that is good. Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle help to produce more milk, but it sounds like to me you are on track. Actually you sound like I did, and I had more than enough.

I started nursing when LO was born, but after two days he got dehydrated because he couldnt stay awake. I pumped from 3 weeks to 10 weeks exclusively, and then started working with him to nurse. If my LO can learn to nurse so can your baby. I will tell you what helped with getting my LO to latch properly. It will take time, and your nipples may be sore for a week, but it will get better I promise.

My LO likes to comfort suck when he is sleepy, so I started nursing then just so he would be happy and comfortable and enjoy the experience, before I started nursing for nutrition. After a couple of days of this, we went to nutritive feedings. I always let him nurse first, then finish up with a bottle. It took about 3-4 days of this before he could finish a meal at the breast. I am guessing that you are working at this time, so someone is giving your baby a bottle when you are away? Try looking up the Kassing Method of Bottle Feeding to Reinforce Breastfeeding. This helps a baby to take a bottle much like he would breastfeed. I used this to teach baby what was needed to latch. (Also makes bottle feeding more of an effort) I rubbed his mouth with the bottle, and waited until he opened wide before I let him have the bottle. Maybe the caregiver would cooperate in this?

Also, to trick my LO, I bought a nipple shield. I used it for a couple of days just to trick him. I would rub it on his lip, he thought it was the bottle. I let him latch and suck, then would take it off and try to get him to latch. I kept repeating this, and eventually I just rubbed his mouth with the shield in my hand, and then gave him the breast directly. Eventually I just used my finger, then the breast.

Also, I looked up latching techniques online. Try looking up the asymetrical latch technique. This helped SOOO much for the both of us. It really helped my comfort level at the beginning, and no one ever mentioned it in my BF class or my books.

It will take patience, but it can happen. You are not selfish at all!!