Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help! won't nurse!

Default help! won't nurse!

Please help! My daughter has weaned herself! I am left with an abundant milk supply. Can anyone tell me what to do to lessen the amount without pumping? When I pump I become engorged again!

Default Re: help! won't nurse!

well, you need to express a little, just not all of it. maybe get in the shower to see if it helps. or only pump for a couple minutes instead of 15-20 or whatnot. its better to pump a little than to run the risk of clogged ducts or mastitis. also, cold cabbage leaves are a good thing to help with pain of engorgement and drying you up. taking pseudoephedrine which is in tylenol cold/sinus or sudafed will also reduce milk supply if taken for several days, but who wants to take medicine for no reason? anyway, hope this helps!

How old is your baby? When a baby suddenly stops nursing leaving you with a very full supply, it is usually a nursing strike rather than weaning (although it could lead to weaning if baby never goes back). Self-weaning is usually gradual. Anyway, my point is that you may be able to coax baby back to the breast if you want to--there have been several threads here with questions about nursing strikes with good information. If you don't want baby to go back to the breast, then just follow suggestions in PP-that should help.

Quote Originally Posted by llowe
    How old is your baby? When a baby suddenly stops nursing leaving you with a very full supply, it is usually a nursing strike rather than weaning (although it could lead to weaning if baby never goes back). Self-weaning is usually gradual. Anyway, my point is that you may be able to coax baby back to the breast if you want to--there have been several threads here with questions about nursing strikes with good information. If you don't want baby to go back to the breast, then just follow suggestions in PP-that should help.
    Excellent info, llowe!

From your post it did kind of sound like it was a sudden thing. Was it? True self-weaning before a baby is a year old is very rare. In fact, it is unusual for a baby to wean before 18-24 months unless mom is doing something to encourage the baby to wean.

I would suggest reading this LLL page:

My Baby Is Suddenly Refusing to Nurse. Does That Mean It's Time to Wean?

The beginning of this page states:
    "A baby who is truly ready to wean will almost always do so gradually, over a period of weeks or months. If your baby or toddler has been breastfeeding well and suddenly refuses to nurse, it is probably what is called a "nursing strike" rather than a signal that it's time to wean. Nursing strikes can be frightening and upsetting to both you and your baby, but they are almost always temporary. Most nursing strikes are over, with the baby back to breastfeeding, within two to four days."

Also check out: Weaning: How does it happen?

If it is actually weaning this page is great ...
    Comfort measures for mom during weaning

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon