Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Burps and Spit up

Default Burps and Spit up

My newborn is exclusively breastfed and seems to be constantly gassy and spits up a lot, something I thought was rare or non-existent in breastfed babies. Has anyone had this problem?

Default Re: Burps and Spit up

Oh boy have I ever.... ML was the gassiest baby ever and she spit up ALL the time!! I had no idea what to do in the beginning. DF's aunt came to visit & help me shortly after she was born & ended up buying us a bouncy vibrating chair. It was the miracle we had been searching for! There's just something about the vibrations that gets a lot of the gas out. DF got the rest of it out, he bounced her on his legs, patted until his hands almost fell off and walked her around the house. I thought she had some reflux problem from the huge amount she would spit up, several times, every single day. I asked the pedi about it & he said it was perfectly normal, just try to burp her more often (even though I would spend a long time burping her after each feeding). Eventually, it all cleared itself up & she wasn't super gassy & didn't spit up anymore. After CI was born, he was (and still is to some extent) super, super gassy (he's all boy ). He's the spit up king too ! DF is back in his role of gas-getter-outer, bouncing CI on his knees, patting, etc. I would think as long as your lo is gaining weight the spitting up is normal. As far as the gas goes, pat, pat, pat & if that doesn't work, go invest in a bouncy vibrating chair!
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

Oh yes. Our LO spit up a lot. He is bottlefed BM, I'm sure that makes a big difference. I think sometimes it SEEMS like a lot more than it really is though. It did get to be less and less as time went on, and now at 7 months he spits up very rarely. He was always in a bib the first few months though.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

My DD still spits-up sometimes. Definitely normal. When she was first born sometimes she would spit up so much at once, but it just got better and better as she got older.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

DS was horrible!!!! I had never done so much laundry in my life. He is finally getting much, much better at almost 17 weeks.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

my lo was really really gassy always cryn and spitting up. she started growing out of it at about 3 months

my 6 week old has been very gassy and spitting up a lot in the last 2 weeks...I am SO very glad to hear she will outgrow this! I am however becoming very adept at interpreting the look on her face and getting ready with the burp cloth *winks*

If I had heard that spit up and gas were rare in b/f babies, I'd have been worried sick since week one with my LO. She had so much gas the first six weeks that we could feel it like popcorn in her belly. And spitup...good grief! Let's just say that she gets lots of sponge baths from the neck up.

Babies who gulp a lot at the breast - maybe from a strong letdown - can ingest more air and have spitup/gas issues. I also found after experimentation with my diet that eliminating leafy green vegetables and green beans has significanlty reduced my LO's gas to the point that some days we have almost none at all. There are some other guilty foods out there that others have mentioned on this board - dairy and soy are two of them.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008