Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sippy cups

Default sippy cups

What kind of sippy cups have people had luck with? I'm trying to help my son to learn, but he just chews on it. Gets mad if I try to help him.

Default Re: sippy cups

The nuby sippy with two handles works great!
    http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Two-Handl.../dp/B000JOOGR0

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

My daughter chewed on her sippies at first too. We found that she was more likely to drink out of the ones with hard spouts and that taking the valve out helped her to figure out that water would come out of it.

That said, ultimately she did the best with straw cups and uses them all the time now instead of regular sippies. We use the Munchkin ones (bought them at Target).
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

How old? i'm a speech pathologist working with kids under 3 y.o. and I always recommend a straw over sippy for muscle development. That being said, sippy cups with no valve are best, as they don't have to pump/suck to get it out. There's always a learning curve, for both. Depending on how old your LO is, you can introduce both straw and sippy. My DS was drinking from a straw at 8 months, but we alternated between valve-less sippy and straw. No sippies after 1 y.o. You can teach straw drinking with a soft cup/container, like an empty honey bear, so you can squeeze it a little when your LO closes their mouth around it. Most kids, if there aren't physiological reasons why they can't, figure it out pretty quickly.

we use the greber graduates one with the hard spout, dd has been using it since like 9mo, she loves them and so do i they also have the valve for less mess, which i love, she also loves to drink from a straw and mommy and daddys cups,
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Thanks for the advice. I do take out the valve and help him, but he tends to push it away. I think I might try the straw thing.

I liked the nuby ones with soft top- mine also chewed on it but he figured out that water would come out. Then it was like one day he could drink out of any sippy cup. At around 8 months he could do the straw one really well.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

We were disappointed with the Nuby. The little silicone piece in the nipple broke right off within....weeks or a month. I was not impressed with that and felt it was a safety issue.

We now use Take N Toss Straw Sippies. They are great.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Does anyone like Avent. Thats what i use.

My son loves the Nuby. He does chew on it, but we're still waiting on his first teeth. He will drink from it too, just depends on his mood. I think he likes drinking from mommy and daddy's cups best though.

I got a Baby Einstein with a hard spout, but he doesn't care for it. He will look real indignant and look at me as if to say, "OK, Mom, where is the real sippy?"

LOL