Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby eating less during cold/allergic rhinitis

Default baby eating less during cold/allergic rhinitis

Well my 4 mo. old has his first fit of congestion. I am not sure if this is a cold or possibly some allergic rhinitis, because his eczema has suddenly gotten a bit worse as well (before it was a mild case with a few dry skin patches here and there)...He is not running a fever and seems to be feeling relatively okay otherwise (just a runny nose and congestion, especially heard while nursing)...Now, I am having concerns as to whether or not he may be eating less than usual. It seemed like his diaper count may have been a bit less yesterday, and my breasts may be a bit fuller than usual. My question is, should I be pumping just in case he is not eating as much? I was having a bit of an issue with oversupply beforehand (that seemed to clear up when I stopped eating oatmeal-didn't know it could increase your milk!) so I wasn't sure if this fullness was just a little bit of that issue again or not, because a few days ago I was worried that my milk might be a little low so I was switching breasts a little more often than usual (usually I do about a 3 hour block)...So does anyone know if it would be a better idea for me to pump some just in case, or if I should just let it go and if my LO is eating a bit less than usual than he'll just nurse a little more frequently when he feels better to bring it back to where he wants it? I just wish I knew for sure whether or not this was oversupply or baby not eating as much as usual. I'll be keeping a very close watch on diaper count throughout the day. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Default Re: baby eating less during cold/allergic rhinitis

DS never ate as much when he was congested and couldn't nurse well. You might try offering more frequently and trying to clear his nose to help him nurse, but unless his diaper count really drops, I wouldn't worry about pumping. He'll go back to nursing like normal when he feels better and your supply will bounce back, too.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Default Re: baby eating less during cold/allergic rhinitis

Okay sounds good. Thank you very much!