Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not producing on one side any suggestions?

Default Not producing on one side any suggestions?

My baby was born 4/26 & an hour & a half after she was born we found out she has a congenital heart defect. I had to fly out of state with her to have surgery to repair her heart. She is not allowed to nurse yet so I am pumping. I have 2 other children one who wouldn't nurse & one who did beautifully. I am not new to pumping, but things are very different this time. I have gotten mastitas w/ my other 2 babys & had problems w/ engorgement before, but this time I had brief bouts of engorgement that I was able to handle & my dr put me on antibiotics right after delivery so no mastitas this time. I will get 3 oz on one side & not even an oz on the other. That is after putting hot wet towels on that breast & massaging it then pumping on just that side when the other is finished. I am very frustrated any suggestions?

Default Re: Not producing on one side any suggestions?

how often are you pumping?
    heres a good link that will help

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

I am pumping every 3-4 hours I was going to try to increase but I have to have the pump suction so high to get anything out of my right breast that it hurts & I am soar I just can't pump more often than that. I also have a hard time cuz my baby isn't breastfeeding yet & she is on a feeding tube she can only take about 15cc's from a bottle at a feeding so then I have to set up her tube feeding & she has reflux so half the time she is throwing up what is going down so I am often late getting to pump cuz I have to spend so much time getting her taken care of. She has to have feedings every 3 hrs & they last for about an hour & a half. It is just getting so hard to juggle. The lactaion consultant suggested getting an ultrasound of my breast. What do you think about taking raglan or some other medication? Thanks for the article.

I'm sorry you are having problems with supply. I'm on the same boat and I find this website very helpful. www.BFAR.org I know you haven't had breast surgery but the suggestions for increasing supply are very good there. Good luck!

have you tried hand expression?
    some moms have more luck with hand expression you can control the pressure beter.

what kind of pump are you useing?