Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Basic questions...

Red face Basic questions...

How exactly am I supposed to know if my daughter empties a breast at feeding? Do I offer both sides at each feeding? I am still trying to figure out how all this works and how to keep her satisfied. Thanks!

Default Re: Basic questions...

this helped me a lot in the early weeks. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/index.html---

mine usually only nursed off one breast per feeding before she was a month old- not sure how old your LO is. she is still pretty much that way at 10 weeks too, but occasionally she will empty both. i think it differs based on the baby and the mom's supply. if mine is acting like she is still hungry and i cannot get any drops of milk by squeezing the breast, i will switch her to the other one. if i squeeze and can still get some milk, i leave her on to make sure she is getting to that good hindmilk. HTH! you two will figure it out together- it gets easier.

Smile Re: Basic questions...

Just so ya'll know...she is 15 days old.

best thing to do count diapars, if its going in it will come out.
    5-6 wet diapars, and more than 3 poops the size of a quarter.
    babies older than 6 weeks sometimes poop less.
    how often is the baby nursing?

Just as your baby tells you when she's hungry she'll tell you when she's full.
    Your baby is the best guide to 'how long to feed'. Every baby sucks at a different pace/strength, and every mom's breasts have different milk supplies and flows. So following a set time to nurse or a set length each nursing session isn't wise. As the previous post states, the best way to know if she's getting enough is counting wet/dirty diapers. A really good link on LLL's site about this is:
    How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?

Let your baby 'finish the first breast first'. That means, let her nurse for as long as she wants to on the first side. If she stops sucking and comes off and looks sleepy, take a break in your nursing. Sit her up, or place her on your shoulder, or just cuddle. You can also try burping her then. Then, if she still seems sleepy, you could change her diaper to wake her up a little. Then, offer the second side, which she may or may not want. Then when you nurse the next time be sure to start on the second or unused side.

Letting your baby set the pace this way will enable her to get the calorie-rich hindmilk that comes towards the end of a nurse. That way you will know she is being satisfied at every nursing.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon